English wheel and related popularity

Anybody notice how many folks are selling tools for hand working sheetmetal? The availability of english wheels and related tools on the web has greatly increased in the last few years. Wonder if it has anything to do with TV shows about motorcycles and hot rods. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:25:50 -0800, the inscrutable Eric R Snow spake:

I had never heard of an English wheel until I saw that crazy f*ck Jesse James using one on an episode of Monster Garage.

The answer to your question is a resounding "yes", Eric.

--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I liked his description - " ... it is a great machine for making blood come out under your fingernail."

Reply to
Fred R

I was surprised how many people recognized an english wheel when I was demoing one at an art show, totally due to the TV shows on cycles and hot rods. Three years ago, I had never heard of one, now I use one for art.

Richard

Eric R Snow wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Once again, I feel like I was born either too soon or too late. I was fascinated by these things after reading the English book _Sports Car Bodywork_, published around 1962 or so, in which they were called "wheeling machines." When I was a teenager I wanted one in the worst way. I had a big custom-made shot bag, made for me by a local shoemaker, and I made lots of mallets, but I wanted a wheeling machine. I just couldn't find any photos or drawings of them.

Now they're available, along with lots of instruction for using them. But now, I could care less about using one.

BTW, I still have the book, which contains large, fold-out drawings of homemade chassis and body drawings for some traditional sports cars.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 02:50:39 GMT, the inscrutable Richard Ferguson spake:

If you don't mind my asking, what did you buy and what did it cost? Size, weight, brand, accessories, etc, please.

======================================================== Was that an African +

or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications ========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I used one many years ago in our high school auto body shop. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

A lot of interest has also been generated on the web by Terry Cowin's efforts at

regards,

John

Reply to
john johnson