FA: 6 head gang drill press

Hey guys, I've finally gotten around to putting this machine on ebay. Let me know if you have any questions, or need better pictures.

BTW, the columns just unbolt if you would like to mount them to something else.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Hate to burst your bubble, but I see multi drills often at my local used machine companies. They usually go for a couple hundred or less, and they sit. Unless somebody has a specific need, they aren't worth much. You'd be better off splitting them up into singles if you can get the parts. Good luck.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I attended an auction recently where a 5 head drill went for $100. Nobody wanted it.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I would be interested in one head

Ignoramus5411

left yourself wide open there.... chuckles

Reply to
erik litchy

For somebody that hates to burst my bubble, you sure did a good job. :)

Do you think it would do better if I unbolted the heads and sold them separately? Then I could just scrap the table.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

just a little gag........

Reply to
Borat

OK guys. I guess just because I gave lots of money for it years ago, doesn't mean it has the same value today. I went back to the auction and lowered the starting bid to $625.00. I just can't take any less for it.

If it doesn't sell, I'll give it to someplace that I can take a tax write off from. Anybody know of a school or something that could use it?

Reply to
Dave Lyon

About 15 years ago we had the same decision. Our fab shop had need for drilling multiple sized holes in the 3/16" to 3/4" range in the same piece. Fixture it once, slide it down the row to the next drill. We opted for a CNC mill with tool changer to do the same job. Best thing we ever did in spite of the fact that I was pushing for the multi head unit.

IIRC we wound up gett>

Reply to
RoyJ

True indeed. Here in California..So Cal..a 5 or 6 head of Deltas or Rockwells will average about $500 for really good drills.

Btw..the nice old cast iron drill press tables make really sweet welding tables.

I just was given 2 Delta Hi-Speed Precision Drill Presses, that came off a gang drill unit. Unfortunately..I didnt pay much attention at the time..1/3hp...208 3 Phase motors....

Sigh

But they are nice.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

So? That just means you need three sets of hamsters running on wheels instead of one. Just watch out for one of them getting tired and losing a phase. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I can just imagine my glee to find this set-up if I had such an operation, but... You might be much better parting them out but then you're keeping the chucks? That makes it tougher. Why keep the chucks? The tap head I understand. These are good iron if they aren't whooped but then there's no tables for the single user. I feel for you, it's a GREAT albatros. If you do part them out, they're easily shipable. That makes if easier for anybody to buy them.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Let's assume the gang did the job for years and more than paid for itself. Feel good about that and raise a glass to it. Anything you get for it is gravy and the floor space is valuable. I know, I've reluctantly parted with some good old iron friends and never looked back.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yep. I bought it for a specific job. I had CNC's at the time, but it was actually faster to do it on the drill press. I ran the job for a few years, and now it's gone. The machine more than paid for it's self.

I've decided to donate it. I can still claim it's worth $3,000 which will save me $1,000 in taxes. Plus, somebody can still get some use out of it.

Let me know if you guys know of a worthy cause.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

See if you have any incubators in your area. Maybe some start-up business could love it for you or you for it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hummmmm! Indeed! Damn....now I got to provide better medical, dental, food and water and a safer working environement for them.

Shit..if only a third votes to unionize..and goes out on strike...Im finished.

Shit.

ah...anyone got any plans for a good bow drill?

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

just in case you can't find the parts to make one

Joe Gorman

Got the Gerbil Power mods, or should I ask Richard Gere?

Gunner

Gunner

You think too small. Open a health spa so fat women pay you to let them run on your custom designed and built, self powered treadmills, then use the excess electricity for your tools. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Fat women don't use treadmills. :)

Reply to