Nice little sanford surface grinder :

Not affiliated with seller.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
AZOTIC

Grant Erwin

Reply to
David Billington

Ooh, that *is* cute. If it's rigid enough I would love to have that in place of my 6x12" machine which weighs like 1500 pounds. However, I already have my SG so I'm not likely to lift a finger .. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Keep in mind that the seller states there is noticable wear on the ways. That would make me think twice. Plus you have to add the $40 crating fee and probably 200 shipping fee to the price.

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

The wear is depicted and *is* rather considerable...it is a 1957 model if I read the Serial Number correctly...

Reply to
Gene Kearns

I am not stating that the seller did not disclose this info.

I am stating that a SG with considerable wear on the ways will have limited usefulness because I don't think it will grind a very flat surface anymore.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Chuck, I wasn't saying that, nor did I mean to infer that in any way.... I merely meant that the seller not only stated, *but depicted* the damage (photographically) and IMHO, it was rather significant.... thinking, in my own mind, that the tool had probably been in service since 1957 without any outward evidence of a rebuild....

It has climbed to a bit more $$ than I would care to give for it, but it certainly looks like a usable and restorable tool....

Reply to
Gene Kearns
[ ... Sanford grinder ... ]

It is similar to mine, but with differences.

1) The table was designed for coolant. 2) (As mentioned) there is a coolant fixture on the stone guard. 3) The mag chuck is a permanent magnet one. Mine is an electro-magnetic one, and the manual warns *not* to use coolant with the EM chuck. (And after examining the circuitry, I can see why. :-)

There are the openings in the casting for the EM chuck power cable and the second toggle switch which goes:

HOLD -- OFF -- AC DEMAG

It looks pretty nice -- other than the bed wear, and that could be re-ground or scraped by a dedicated restorer.

It is also almost closed, now.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols