FA: Rivett 1020S Toolroom lathe - North Florida

Gang, If you need a toolroom lathe, I'm selling a Rivett lathe on ebay...

Thanks again to the group for all your help with my phase converter. Dan

-- Please note new addresses... snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Dan Cassaro

Dan: I sent you a private note regarding this lathe through Ebay and have yet to get a response. I'm curious if the machine is set up for 5C or 6R collets as well as general info such as condition of crossfeed screw, machine serial number, reserve, etc. Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Uncle Lucky

I think, for the first time..Ive fallen in love with a lathe.

Sigh....so far, so heavy, so broke....

Gunner

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Ben Franklin

Reply to
Gunner

I think, for the first time..Ive fallen in love with a lathe.

This is the first one I've seen for sale on e-bone.

It is a magnificant machine, but the 13EE or the EE1000 can run circles around the Rivett.

Sigh....so far, so heavy, so broke....

Oh, yeah!

Sadly, I know a guy who bought a Rivett 1020S only to have the machine fall forward (onto the operator's side of the machine, thereby destroying most of the operational controls) when being delivered.

A dropped toolroom lathe is worth perhaps its scrap value ... if that.

Reply to
Peter H.

That Rivet, is about the most elegant thing Ive seen. Whomever gets it is gonna be a lucky fellow. A bit of paint, some elbow grease..and she will be a beauty. Even if its only 20" between centers..sigh

Funny how the really great toolroom lathes are 10 by 20s.

Both Monarch and Hardinge made their 10 by 20s with the intention of using 5C collets, which was built into the spindle on the Hardinge (and clones), but, alas, not on the 10EE.

Only later did they both realize that "size really DOES matter".

I believe the 13EE/EE1000 could take a 3J collet. Well, a 2J, anyway.

I don't believe Hardinge made a "macho" toolroom lathe, such as the

13EE/EE1000.

Still, for precision turning between centers and for thread chasing, these machines are magnificent.

I'd rate the Monarch higher on overall workpiece finish, and the Hardinge higher on thead chasing convenience.

You say po-tah-toe, I say po-tay-toe.

Reply to
Peter H.

The convergent evolution between this and the 10EE is pretty striking. The layout of the headstock, wiht the speed control knob and tach right there, is just the spitting image of the Monarch.

This one seems to have some kind of aviation grade tach there as a replacement for the original. Well, somebody cared anyhow to make it still work.

Jim

jim rozen

The convergent evolution between this and the 10EE is pretty striking.

The Rivett has an additional bearing in the middle, hence the longer spindle.

IIRC, the Rivett has an L-type mount whereas the Monarch has a D1-3 mount (the smallest in the Camlock series).

Not sure if the Rivett can do any better than 5C collets, though.

If not, the Rivett just has a stiffer spindle, although the Monarch's spindle is certainly plenty stiff.

For some other interesting similarities, check out the CVA toolroom lathe.

Reply to
Peter H.

The Rivett is, as has been mentioned, similar in appearance to the Monarch. Which came first, or whether they sort of developed in parallel, is something of an open question.

The standard Rivett came with an L0 spindle nose, which is what most manufacturers put on 14" or larger lathes. Later 1020/1030's were available with a D series camlock nose as an option. The Rivett is quite a lot beefier than the Monarch, with the 1020 weighing in at about 3800 pounds, compared to 3000 or so for the 10EE.

The Rivett takes 6R collets since Rivett considered the 5C collet to be too short and lightweight. Though the capacity of the 6R is only a little greater than the 5C (1 1/8" vs 1 1/16"), a 6R collet is much longer, about

5" vs 3".

I'm not familiar with a Monarch 13EE, but I've seen a 1000EE and it is an amazing thing. Huge and loooonnnnnnggg. I talked to a fellow at PRIME a few years ago that used a 1000EE, and his view was that it was magnificent in concept and great when it was working, but the electrical and hydraulic control mechanisms were somewhat "experimental" to put it charitably. Keeping it running was a full-time job. That was his opinion, and he's the only one I've talked to that actually ran one.

-- Greg

Greg Dermer

A 1953 Rivett 1020 brochure copy I have shows the L0 spindle nose was standard and the D1-4" was an option. A single page flyer I have, undated but probably later, shows the L0 as standard with either the D1-3" or D1-4" as options. The L0 spindle would pass a 1 1/4" bar, having an internal taper for the 6R collet. The D1 spindles would pass a 1 3/8 inch bar.

"USAS B5.9" (still current 1992) from ANSI shows a D1-2" as the smallest spindle nose in the series, recommending it for bench lathes of 6 to 8 inch swing. As far as I know, this size spindle nose has never been used on a bench lathe, though I suppose if Myford were to go to a cam lock spindle nose, this would be it :-). This document further recommends either the D1-3" or the L00 for bench lathes of 8-10 inch swing.

Their recommendation for toolroom lathes of 10 inch swing is either the D1-4" or the L0. They further state that the size of the tool room lathe given is "the nominal catalogue size". and "The actual swing over the bed and carriage extensions of each catalogue size lathe has been established by a recent agreement among American engine lathe builders as being 2 1/2 in. more than the catalogue size specified." So by this criterion the Monarch 10EE is using one size smaller than the recommendation. The L0 (and the optional D1-4") on the

1020 Rivett follows the recommendation. Clearly the D1-3" on the 10EE has stood the test of time, but to my eye sometimes it looks a bit sparse, especially carrying the 8" 4 jaw Cushman often used with this machine

I think the evidence is that the 10EE preceded the Rivett 1020, but this will probably never be settled for certain. While _Serial Number Reference Book_ shows 14 model number 1020's were built between 1941 and 1942, a 1940 brochure I have for the 1020 shows a machine much smaller than the one we are familiar with, actual swing is 10" and weight is 1475 pounds. (I wonder if any of these have survived.) Then _Serial Number Reference Book_ shows production using the model number 1020 starting again in 1949, presumably the larger machine this time, running through 1961. There is evidence that a few 1020's were built later than 1961.

I highly recommend the website Greg and Tom Hammond have put together on the Rivett line of machine tools.

(old_dave) David Lindquist snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Davidlindq

The D1 spindles would pass a 1 3/8 inch bar.

True, but the Monarch closer and the similar Royal closer were 5C, and would only pass a 1-1/4" bar.

I've got Sjogren-Hardinge 2J and 3J chucks for my lathes. The 2J will go up to

1-3/8", and hence will pass through the Monarch's spindle. The 3J will do a lot better, but only for short workpieces.
Reply to
Peter H.

I've used the large one of those on a 10EE in the past, and it is truly a nice setup. The only *real* problem with it, is trying to pronounce it!

Shoe-Grain Slo-Jog-Ren Es-Jo-Gern

etc...

Jim

jim rozen

I've used the large one of those on a 10EE in the past, and it is truly a nice setup.

The Sjogren-Hardinge (now ATS-Sjogren) chuck was patented in 1929 ... a fateful year ... by one Mr. Sjogren, of Los Angeles, California.

It was later transferred to Hardinge for Manufacture, and still later transferred to ATS Workholding.

A magnificent design, it has stood the test of time (rhymes ... LOL!).

The only *real* problem with it, is trying to pronounce it!

Shoe-Grain Slo-Jog-Ren Es-Jo-Gern

Show-grin ... just like Sjogren's Syndrome.

From ...

... Sjögren's ("SHOW-grins") syndrome is a chronic disease in which white blood cells attack the moisture-producing glands. The hallmark symptoms are dry eyes and dry mouth, but it is a systemic disease, affecting many organs and may cause fatigue. It is one of the most prevalent autoimmune disorders, striking as many as four million Americans.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter H.