Fastners recommended to anchor metal to OLD brick

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has some advice about anchoring a metal railing to old brick. This is a Handicap Stair Railing, but the brick is OLD brick and rather "crumbly." Any recommendations on fastners to use that won't work loose or crack the brick?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Papasmithy

Jim,

Use HILTI or similar epoxy anchors. These will hold well in iffy brick and concrete. See if you can get their catalogue for installation guidance. It makes a difference if the bricks are solid or hollow. And blowing & brushing out the drilling dust is important for the anchor integrity.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

There isnt any. Epoxy systems may keep the fastener secure..but if the brick is crumbly(mortar)..pulling on the rail may pull the entire brick out of the wall.

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Iffen ya got access to some sulphur--drill a big hole -place a bolt init-melt the sulfer-(carefully--it likes to burn)--pour it in the hole--(blow out dust--can't be wet either!!) Solid chunks melt easier than powder--Usta come in a slightly tapered form-2" +- in dia -6 to 10" long---Called 'em Cones--wunder why?-- Doesn't shrink upon cooling--thas why it werks so good--but they had to get it out of the molds, so--- tapered.. Voilla!

Reply to
Jerry Wass

Yes, sulphur in the plastic state is a good way to anchor iron. The fine wroughtiron work of the 19th century was anchored that way and is holding up well (concrete/mortar in contact with iron in wet conditions causes rust).

For vertical walls, it's OK to drill the mortar and use lead anchors.

I've heard that drilling brick is not recommended (brick is vitrified on the surface and weathers well, but the core material is less durable).

Reply to
whit3rd

How thick is the brick? Is it all brick or just a fascia? If just a fascia I would drill through the brick and anchor to the interior substrate. Brick itself tends to crumble once the outer layer is breached.

Reply to
Steve W.

It's worse than that with some old brick. They're baked, but not vitrified. I've seen them turn back to dirt when exposed to soil and weather.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

First!!!!

Not to drill the old lime junk. Drill the brick. If it is to far gone, then there isn't any strength within it.

If you have access to the back side for some easy reason - then maybe a metal plate or metal bar matching the line of connections - and through bolts.

I'd be very cautious. Consult with a brick mason.

This could be a legal issue.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Papasmithy wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn