Filing machine?

I puled an oldey out of the shed at work today and checked it out. looks like it will work with a little effort A "Rice Pump and Machinery Company", "Milwaukee die filer". It's a table-top machine a lot like jigsaw but has a 3/8 square file in the chuck. Anyone familiar with this machine? It appears to be missing whatever connects the top of the file to spring loaded traveller on the overarm. If I see a picture of one I can copy it.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

It's possible they don't connect. On my 1930's Doall die filer, the overarm acts like that on a scroll saw, providing downpressure to keep the part on the machine's table. The spring just keeps the "foot" tight against the part.

Reply to
woodworker88

I have a die filer I built from a kit of castings and other parts that is based on a/the basic die filer pattern. The files it uses cut on the DOWN stroke. There is no overarm as one is not needed to keep the part against the table. The downward cutting action of the file holds the part against the table. Your machine may be similar. If the thing works, and the file cuts on the downstroke, you have a nice tool. I use mine for all sorts of contour filing on one off parts. ERS

Reply to
etpm

Mine was missing the same thing. I made a couple of parts that clamp blades to the spring loaded bar with a piece of copper buss bar I had laying around.

I wouldn't worry about it much, though. The only time I use that attachment is when I clamp a hacksaw blade in it for roughing out a interior opening.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

It's possible they don't connect. On my 1930's Doall die filer, the overarm acts like that on a scroll saw, providing downpressure to keep the part on the machine's table. The spring just keeps the "foot" tight against the part.

That may be how it works. The existing mechanism works that way, so all I need to do is attach a roller to one of the holes. It does cut on the downstroke. There is also a 1/2 inch rod bent with a foot, that would be a hard-stop, probaly leaves marks. I only have one file, but will look for more. I'll get a picture of it next week. This thing is pre-war and probably hasn't been used in 30 years. Boss says it came in a lot, from an auction in the early 70s

Thanks guys

Reply to
Stupendous Man

SNIP

Hey Paul,

Huh???????? Wuzzat mean?

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

For using the diefiler like a scroll saw. Like cutting out a big square hole in the middle of a slab of steel when the hole doesn't touch the edges.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I believe the files are called type A files. What I do is use files with parallel sides, i.e. files that don't taper, and cut them to the desired length plus enough to grind down to .250 dia. to fit into file holder. Obviously, I use the files so they cut on the down stroke. ERS

Reply to
etpm

I googled around and could not even come up with a decent photo of a Milwaukee diefiler, let alone the blade clamp.

I shot some pictures of the one I made and put them up here.

Good luck

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

There are some pictures of my Milwaukee/Manley die filer here:

Near as I can tell it is pretty much the same as the Rice version.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Nice work. The page 4 years old, so I assume that you worked out that the misc parts you had, are for use with the saw blade.

The original poster should take a look. The three pieces on the lower left, are the ones he was looking for.

I have never seen the blade guides before. Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Thats it. I assume Paul is camping a saw blade or file between the copper block and the allen? Mine has a "C" shaped overarm with no height adjustment, and an "L" shaped arm that is below with a flat surface to stop the work from coming up.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

No the screw pushes the copper jaw and the blade is clamped between it and the steel slide. If I clamp a file in it, I put an extra piece of copper sheet between the file and the steel bar.

But as I said before, I almost never use it. A bandsaw blade welder made the saw aspect less attractive and it is easier to avoid pushing on the unsupported side of the file than it is to set up the arm.

I have seen the C overarm on other filers but never on a Milwaukee. But I have only seen about a half dozen Milwaukees and most of them were missing their arms.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman