Die Filer question

That screw is a stop on the support clamp. It is not really for adjustment of the file.

1:You set the clamp to the height you want it. Now the the arm can swivel on it so that you can swing it out of the way.

2:With the file set to the required angle you use the adjusting screw to swing the arm til the wheel just touches the file.

3:Lock the nut on the screw.

Now when you swing the arm away and back, it will return to the same position.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 when you change the file.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I picked up this Die Filer at a garage sale about two years ago. ($40, I didn't even bargain). Came with about 30 files having all sorts of cross sections.

Question: What goes into the vertical hole to the left of the table? It is about 1.25 inches in diameter. Looks way too heavy duty to be a simple lamp holder. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

That's for an overarm. I've seen three types. The first is just a roller guide to back up the file, something like the roller guide for a bandsaw. The second looks a lot like the overarm for an old jigsaw, with a slide and a spring to hold the top end. The third *is* an overarm for a jigsaw.

You can see lots of photos of them by Googling around. Here are some links, plus a video of one in action:

(You Tube)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed!!

I suppose I could have done some Googling. Wasn't clever enough to think of it.

Thanks again,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You're welcome, Ivan. Actually, I was surprised to find so many photos of complete die filers. I thought I'd have to scan something from one of my books.

They're useful tools for a hobby shop. If you have a jigsaw overarm attachment they're even better. You can cut metal with those hefty jigsaws.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

An overarm to hold down the workpiece -- especially useful if you can't get the real die filer files which cut on the downstroke.

Maybe even for converting it to being a saber saw.

And the hole in the table to the right of the file is probably for a support arm for the file, which moves up and down with the file, but supports the top end against the cutting forces.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Is that a delayed gloat?

Reply to
Wes

Delayed gloat because it took me two years to figure out how to post pictures. I was going to build a web site and then came along Photobucket, Picasso etc.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary