follow rest 101

I've been going to buy a follow rest for my 10EE. I spotted this one on ebay:

It mounts right where I put my X axis DRO scale. Don't want to move that.

Has anyone built their own follow rest? Any details to watch out for? Can I just use the brass guide out of the steady rest for the support piece?

One final question, I've never used one. Had trouble with part deflection on a high L/D part last winter, will it solve this problem?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Someone makes on that just mounts to the toolpost. Fits most everything interesting design.

- - Rex Burkheimer Fort Worth TX

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Karl I built a follower rest for my Harrison 10AA (Colchester Chipmaster) a year or so ago. I have a factory follower rest, but it didn't meet my need. And yes, I used the guides from the factory unit.

My project at the time was an Acme threaded shaft, 3/4 dia x 16" long.

I had some chatter while turning to size, so I knew that threading would be a problem. The factory follower rest could not be adjusted to locate the guides directly behind the cutting tool. It was offset, towards the chuck, by about an inch. The follower rest that I made corrected this problem, and allowed the guide to be located directly behind the cutter. Also because I made it from some thick surplus flat stock, it is very heavy and solid.

Using it, the Acme threads were cut without any chatter.

H>I've been going to buy a follow rest for my 10EE. I spotted this one on >ebay:

Reply to
John Normile