I got the machine back from the kid and looked at it for a while. Nothing in earnest because I had to do some errands with SWMBO. While we were out, I stopped in at a Miller authorized service center and was able to speak to someone knowledgeable about the problem. I asked him if he had free estimates and he said sure. You give us $108 and we will give you a free estimate. Anyway, He asked me what the symptoms were and when I told him he said that is sounded like what some of you are probably thinking. Low voltage.
So I am wondering how that can be. I am using the dryer outlet in the house and the dryer still works so that can't be the problem. I've used it many times before. Used the same extension cord that I have used many times in the past so that shouldn't be it. It's IS getting 240 volts damnit!!
So we get back and I start looking into it again. Sure enough it is only getting 117.5 volts. WTF?!?!? SWMBO comes out and sez something like " The last time you used it was at the kids house. Didn't you have to switch the plugs over there?" Then the "AWWW SHEEEEEIT!" moment. Sometimes I just hate that woman. :-) She has a way of doing that to me. No I didn't remember that. I had to swap one of the ends of my extension cord to match the outlet in his garage and then when I was done I swapped mine back on again. Only I when I put mine back on I inadvertently switched the white and green wires. SON_OF_A_BEEACH. I fixed my cord and the welder works fine again.
Thanks for all your help anyway.