Forging or Punching a 25mm Hex hole for a wrench

I would like to have a 25mm Box End Wrench. 6 sided. About 14" in length. The opening would be about =BD" thick.

Does anyone here do this or can fill me in on the process?

All I think I know is that it would be punched out when the piece is red hot and then the wrench would be finished and then heat treated. But I know nothing of how the punching part of the process is accomplished.=20

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Unless you have the dies..its probably going to be easier to drill a hole to the minor diameter, then trace a hex around it and hit it with a file, filing to the lines.

Gunner

Gunner

An EDM works great for this also. I made a couple special impact sockets out of S7 tool steel. Work just like store bought units, not as shiney though.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Does anyone here do this or can fill me in on the process?

If you only need a special wrench why not just buy a box wrench and add additional length to the handle? That would be a whole lot easier than reinventing the wheel.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I have made crude sockets by selcting an oversize pipe, heating it red on the end then forging it around a sample nut. You could drill out an oversize hole that would go around a nut then forge it down to fit the nut. Pop the nut out and you have a crude hex. Randy

Does anyone here do this or can fill me in on the process?

All I think I know is that it would be punched out when the piece is red hot and then the wrench would be finished and then heat treated. But I know nothing of how the punching part of the process is accomplished.

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Most folks (myself included) dont have an EDM. Well..I do have a big assed Raycon if I wanted to bring it home...

Gunner

Gunner

For an asthetic reason I want to end up with a nice pretty wrench. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Sounds good. I would have to find someone to forge this since forging is not big if at all in S AZ. Thanks for the idea. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Duck over to alt.crafts.blacksmithing and ask around.

You may be *very* surprised.!

Reply to
RAM^3

A strong hex can be attained by cutting the hex hole with endmills. Look at a Snap-On wrench or socket to see that the corners/points aren't just the juncture of 2 flats, but instead, there is a radius formed outside the dimension of the hex.

They claim that this feature makes more efficient use of the torque applied to the tool, and that tools that use the corners/points of the hex actually result in more frequent rounding of the fastener (or breakage of cheaply-made tools).

A mill with a dro or a rotary table would be a fairly quick way to cut accurate hex openings.

Does anyone here do this or can fill me in on the process?

All I think I know is that it would be punched out when the piece is red hot and then the wrench would be finished and then heat treated. But I know nothing of how the punching part of the process is accomplished.

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Wild Bill

Have it drilled and reamed, then have it broached.

--Doug

Reply to
DGoncz