Making a knob

Warning: metal content.

I made an aluminum knob to replace a plastic knob I didn't like on a machine I otherwise like a lot. Then I black anodized it.

Details at

Don Foreman

That's right purty, Don.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hey Don,

Please discuss that anodizing a bit. Does it have a hard surface like the commercial Job? Is this an easy to do thing like nickel chrome, or really involved like triple chrome?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on anodizing.

My understanding is that "hard" anodize has smaller pores that don't accept dye as well. The process is the same, and it's easy to do; I think the difference is that "hard" anodizing is done with more concentrated acid at higher current and lower temperature.

The electrolyte is just battery acid from NAPA, diluted 2:1 with distilled water for hard anodizing or 3:1 for a film that is to be dyed. I do it at room temperature. Cooling the electrolyte might result in a harder film. I really don't know how hard the film I get is. I used a current of about 0.1 amp per square inch. I've read that lower current will result in better dye saturation but I haven't tried that yet. My knob isn't really a deep black, more of a gunmetal color. A matte finish (beadblasted) might also result in a darker black.

My "secret weapon" is using Ted Edwards' electrocleaning soup to get the aluminum waterbreak clean. It's in the dropbox somewhere. I don't use any electricity for that, just dip the work in the soup for a few seconds and scrub it with a rag. It really does the job!

After anodizing, the work is typically sealed by immersing it in boiling distilled water, perhaps with a sealant chemical added.

There are some good websites about anodizing, though I don't have the URL's at hand. Google on anodize and telescope.

Caswell's plating manual has a good section on anodizing, and he sells the dyes and some other chemicals like de-oxidizer and sealant.

Reply to
Don Foreman

a FINE knob. We're very proud :)

Reply to
Rex

Now you will discover whether the torque-limiting grip on the original knob was because the part in which it worked could not take any more force than you could put through the wimpy knob. I hope that is not the reason for the original knob being as it is.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

What a sorry excuse for a functional design that would be. Fortunately, I don't think that's the case here.

There's about 3/4" of 3/8-16 threadlength in the aluminum or magnesium casting, so I don't think I'll jack the threads out barehanded. If that happened, then I'd drill it out and fit a knurled stainless threaded bushing. I want the damned clamp tight.

It won't happen. Some good and thoughtful engineering clearly went into the design of this motor and mount, other than the silly knob. Bow-mount trolling motors see hard use, this one can take it -- has done for 7 years now. Running into submerged stumps and rocks and chewing thru thick weeds are just part of a day's work for such a motor. Chasing bass rquires it. It gets the job done with a shrug.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The engineering team assigned that part to the New Guy and spent their time on the critical parts.

Reply to
Rex B

Even if you tried, you'd likely break the bolt. From MH, length of thread engagement required to break the screw instead of stripping for a "screw" of 50Ksi yield in a "nut" of 10Ksi yield is 50E3 10E3 thread_SLe .375

0.7745714499 and I would expect your Al alloy to be better than 10Ksi.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards