Forklift pics are up

1988 Baker/Linde B30-PL forklift 3000 lbs capacity Hydrostatic drive..which means no transmission..but there are two big assed hydraulic motors, each of which drives one front wheel. Three pedals..takes some getting used to..no accidents yet..but came close...

Came home on one BIG roll off. Rated at 25,000 lbs. Good driver, good price, works all through South and Central California.

Still got bugs, but got it running well enough to move about 8000 lbs of Stuff this afternoon.

Has a side shift on the forks, but the hoses are missing and are capped off. No idea why..shrug..Ill start looking for a set of hoses.

Nearly got it stuck too...got into some loose soil. But managed to get her out. Country boys dont need 4x4.

Forks are only 36"...I suspect the Korean fellah doing the happy dance, who was storing it for the owner..ah...appropriated the original forks, the fuel shutoff solenoid, the LP gas line and the tank. When I asked him why the forks he had "stored inside" were yellow..not white..he started looking at everything but me..

Specs call for 40-42" forks...that extra 4-6" is gonna be missed.

Shrug

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

The pix aren't working yet but I saw the other ones you posted. Nice truck, just don't paint it blue!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Not working for me either - I can get into the main Yahoo Photos page, but they aren't on the index and none of the sub-folder names are obvious.

You mentioned it takes an oddball battery, but I couldn't find a reference to it - Do you have a BCI Group Number for what you need?

My Corvair takes a Group 57 that's almost Unobtanium nowadays unless you want to pay a lot for it, and double that if you want a tar-top rubber case repro - but a Group 53 from some rice-burner imports drops right in, available off the shelf at Costco. About 3 inches shorter length-wise, the right width, and a hair shorter height-wise. And due to materials improvements, a lot more powerful.

Just watch the cable connections when you swap, some are reversed.

If you really need small and cheap, go look in the motorcycle battery section - two 6-volters in series might be the ticket. Should be enough amps, you're starting a Bug engine not a 455 big-block.

Might want to rig up a hinged blockout plate for the side-shift control valve, as in "Do You Really Want To Do This? Y/N" I'll bet this was disconnected to satisfy an insurance company - it's really easy to dump the whole works if you hit that valve accidentally.

If you can get the mast into 'powered down' it's easy to toss gravel into the holes and slide some plywood under the wheels.

Hell, you were a LEO long enough to know what THAT means...

You might want to ask the Owner that you got the truck from about those strange coincidences with the yellow forks and missing pieces from the storage location - and drop just enough hints so he can figure out what happened without having to accuse anyone of doing anything underhanded, especially since you can't prove it...

You might be surprised what shows up when you shake the trees - like a bunch of missing pieces, a set of white forks, and a note asking for the yellow ones back.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Shit..I keep forgetting Yahoo sets a "private" default setting on any albums/photos and had to go back and make it "public"

Sorry about that

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Oh I did..trust me..I shook the trees really hard. All I got was a flood of Korean and much head bobbing. Shrug. The guy who was storing it buys and sells mil surplus gensets, forklifts and what not..and his relationship with the owner is...shakey. While I was there, he sold a very nice Onan genset 18kw, to a Philipino who was shipping it to Manila to power his hotel during power failurs. $2000 with 918 hours on the hobbs meter. Came out of the Sears building..backup genny. Still had the wall cert from the City of LA. Had another one from the LA Sheriffs Department..about 1000 hours. Came out of a substation out in Mojave that was being shipped to Mexico.

Guy has some nice stuff...drives a nice truck..but...shrug..I suspect he put the correct forks on something else he sold...the seller is a little Mexican, bottom feeder like me, and he remembers the forks being white..which is why I pushed hard for a couple weeks, cause once it had been removed from the Gomers property..all options were finished.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

On the top right hand side is an arrow and a micro picture of what you are looking at.

Try again.

Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I've literally got a truck load of hoses. Let me know what size fitting and length.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Are they showing up now?

Works on my end. Just checked on two different boxes, neither of which have the autologin cookie enabled.

This has been a Very productive day. Ive moved a Bunch of stuff, including the motor home with no tranny and bad rear tires, making more room and she has been perking right along. I think the timing is a smidge off, and the HOT light comes on once in a while, but the engine runs normally and the radiator temp seems about nominal. Nothing appears to be running hot. Its got a rather odd water pump, bolted to the side of the block that Ill check before long. Ive never worked on a water cooled VW engine before..let alone seen one. Ill have to try to find a manual for it. I called a dealer..and the maint manual alone...is $185...and the service manual is more... Ill put a search script on Ebay..

Ive got a problem with a bunch of Americanus Agave growing wild along the property line..nasty stuff to try to remove..so I tilted the forks down, put em about 10" apart, and ran em into the soft dirt under em and lifted them right out of the ground. YAY!!!! No more toxic juice and machete work!! Multi purpose tool!

I moved a top heavy surface grinder over rough ground..had to think about it for a moment, then ran the cable from a cable come-along all the way around the forks and the top (suitably padded) table of the surface grinder and tightened the critter down. It has a narrow footprint so was concerned about it rocking off the forks. Worked like a champ. All my slings and whatnot are on my trailer, still in LA..damnit.

Tommorow is gonna be interesting..I need to move a couple machines out of the shop itself, and its a dirt grade down into the shop. I hope it can pull itself back up the grade with a thousand pounds on it..backing out. No way to turn around after Ive hooked up. Cringe.... I know damned well Im gonna have to cable em down to the forks. I figure that in the next month or so..Im gonna get this ol place looking pretty good. Then I have to put on half a roof, before the rain comes...sigh... Least I can get the bundles up on the roof now

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

It worked OK for me a while ago. He may need to clear his Cache memory to see them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Look for a Bentley manual, they are very good. Not sure what they do in the industrial models, but the consumer versions of these engines have a low oil pressure sensor on them that is a bit touchy, comes on below some ridiculously high number. It's very common for an engine with high miles(hours?) to turn on the light when idling hot. I've got a '94 Jetta with a 2.0L(165,000mi, burns no oil) in it that was turning on the light when warm after I got it. Not sure what it had in it for oil when I got it but a change to 10w-40 fixed it.

The side-mounted water pumps are very common on foreign motors for some reason, but the VW seems to be very reliable. This is my 2nd VW with large miles, never had a water pump issue. Might not hurt to blow out the radiator, probably full of grass etc.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 05:50:40 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Yes, and the back 40 doesn't look much different than the day I left there, other than the scales and Harley pipes being gone.

VW? Condolences.

Don't you just HATE that?

Hey, now you can moonlight in Taft as a Landscape Engineer!

Got MC tiedowns? I used some to pull my truck out of the sand on Pismo Beach the second day I had it. Haven't you heard of the 7 P's?

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

Get before and after pics, wot?

Great. That's a big (and heavy) start.

Have fun!

========================================================= Save the Whales +

the whole set! + Website design and graphics =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ain't it wunnerful how much fun you can have when you get a new to....er..tool Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:27:07 -0400, Gerald Miller wrote:

Oh hell yes! I moved more Stuff today, including a small lathe, a tool and cutter grinder and my big assed Covel OD grinder out of the shop and put em in temp storage out back. The Albino Amazon powered up and down that soft dirt driveway like a champ! I could spin the tires...but I had to work at it...she simply chugged along carrying a load. Next weekend, Ill move the 618 surface grinder out a ways and put in the new (to me) Helios horizontal miller. Then start tackling the Dreaded Back Yard and the Stacks O'stuff. My overhead crane is right in the way into the back yard..so I may have to move it..cringe..I think...think the forks go that high. And Ill need to cover the access hatch to the dry well with something mighty solid..I may have some 1" plate tucked away. I had my 36" HayBudden anvil sitting out in the alley..a couple guys drove by really really slow looking at it..so last thing I did tonight was move it into the welding area and put it where it couldnt be easily moved. Ive got some 45kva 3ph transformers, a spindle chiller and a couple pallets of 5hp 3ph motors that are gonna have to be moved before I do much of anything else. And that big Gordon Pallet filled with 3000 or so V and timing belts. The scrappers came by per my request and I gave em probably 5000 lbs of brand new but rusty cogged pullies, sprockets and Martin and Browning bushings. And there is a pallet with about 25 new but rusty air clutches and air brakes they are gonna get the next time they come through. During the week they got a Gordon Pallet I really didnt want them to take though..filled with brand new in the plastic, heated glue hoses. Those I could have sold..damnit.

Sigh..Im starting to be pragmatic..and tossing everything I dont personally have a need for. All those Festo and Mac air solenoids..gonna get tossed in the near future. Too big for anything I do..and cant drum up any interest in them. Nobody wants to drive up and even take for free perfectly good industrial Stuff sellable by the right people. Shrug.

Ive got almost 80' of 8' pallet racks that Im hanging on to. Im thinking of trying to scrounge a pair of 20 cargo containers, putting them 12' apart and building a roof between them, then welding up a service rack and ramp for vehicle repair/service. I can put all those pallet racks inside the containers..and get all the Good Stuff Im gonna keep..from camping gear etc etc organized, with room for some machine tools and everything will be out of the weather.

Winter is coming and while we dont get snow..its supposed to be a wet winter (hopefuly) and I need to get stuff done before the rains start in a few months.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 04:39:20 GMT, Gunner wrote: I just put up a couple pictures of a very simple trailer hitch that clamps on the end of fork lift forks. It makes moving trailers around insanely simple

:

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Make sure you have some sort of ventilation in those can's if you don't want th' contents to rust. Long term storage in those can really f*ck up th' contents, don't ask how I know.

I'd cut some holes for gable vents at each end and install at least one of those wind driven roof vents. A powered fan would be better, if possible, during th' wet months. Likewise, those bastids get really hot in th' summertime, constant air movement is yer friend.

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

Hell, we used to just burn a hole through a fork and bolt th' hitch ball to it when needed. Had th' normal assortment of sizes behind th' seat in a tray... along with a length of chain, clevis's, etc... Another handy addition is a rack on th' back that'll hold dunnage.

You did a nice job, but that takes up more space when not being used than a hole inna fork .

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

Oh yeah.! Got lots of them in this area being used as storage..high desert..most folks do it right. However most seal em in the winter time..lots of fog here.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

True indeed. But I dont like the idea of burning a hole in the tip of the fork and leaving a possible weak spot. Ive been known to use tools in unconventional ways...see my Agave digger .

Ill be welding a couple 20 mm ammo can racks on the back weight for storage though maybe.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Better safe than sorry.

I think th' smallest bulls we ran were Hyster 350's and there was plenty of meat to burn a hole. Being a yard for AK bound marine freight, we loaded a shitload of trailers on barges with forklifts like that. Hook on, haul ass.

Heh, yeah saw that... whatever gets th' job done works for me.

And you know you'll use 'em. Real handy havin' a BFH and a few tools on it, because as soon as ya get to th' furthest point from where th' hammer is, yer gonna need one.

A dozen four foot 4"x4"s and 2"x4"s in a rack comes in handy for settin' lifts on too. Ours looked like an upside down coffee table made out of scrap angle iron and bolted to th' engine cover... kept th' dunnage from fallin' off all over th' f***in' yard .

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

You can seal 'em up tighter'n a nuns cunt but there's still gonna be condensation inside without some sort of air movement. At least that's what happened to my shit. Didn't start out as shit, but after one winter up here inna PNW, it was shit. That was one lesson I learned th' expensive way .

Likely that th' dew point where you are isn't a factor like it is up here. At least I hope not. I lived in th' high desert once, Los Alamos, NM, and don't recall it being a factor at all. That was a

*long* time ago tho. My rememberer is broken, but my forgetter's workin' fine, heh, heh.

Snarl

Reply to
snarl