forks for scissor lift

I've got a scissor lift (Snorkel) at my ranch and was considering whether it's feasible to add a pair of removable forks to use it occasionally inside buildings as a fork lift. The scissor lift has a pull-out platform on one end that can handle at least 250 lbs of live load (the pull-out platfrom itself must weight at least 150 lbs). So, forks mounted on the opposite end should be good for 400 lbs or so. It would be used inside a couple of buildings for moving pallets around including in and out of racks. For outside work, I have a forklift attachment for one of my tractors, but the tractor is too big for some inside work.

Has anyone heard of something like this? What is the (falling) downside? How would you go about it? Where to get the materials? I've got good welding skills (torch, mig, stick). I was thinking of a couple of Z-shaped forks. One end of each fork would slide into a steel casing that I would weld to the floor of the scissor lift; the other end would slide into a pallet.

Mike

Reply to
<newsman

Sounds like you maybe an entrant for the Darwin Awards this year.

Reply to
Roger

Probably not a good idea. A forklift generally has a capacity that is 1/2 of its weight, and the design is such so the loaded fork lift has enough ballast to keep it from tipping.

A scissor lift is designed to lift loads straight up, and is not designed to be off balance.

Doing so will probably bend something and or cause it to fall over.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Scissor lifts weren't made to do this. If you check the data plate you will see the rated capacity. It will be less if the push-out or power platform is extended. The weak link on all of these are the sissor ears. Any amount of wear on an ear could cause it to fail and it's not a very nice picture when that platform come crashing down.

Reply to
not today

Actually what he said was:

"The scissor lift has a pull-out platform on one end that can handle at least 250 lbs of live load (the pull-out platfrom itself must weight at least 150 lbs). So, forks mounted on the opposite end should be good for 400 lbs or so."

So if the pull out section was on the left side he wants to put forks on the right side. I do not assume that it is just as safe to off center load on the side that it is not designed for.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Shoaf