Four Bears -- nice graph

Ignoramus28258

Nice chart, very thought provoking and provides actual data.

Anyone that thinks things can't get any worse should review.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Keep something else in mind. It might look at first glance that the stock market crash of 2007-2009, as an economic measure, is right now at the same percentage decline as the crash of 1929-1932, on the same month from its beginning. (where you see the blue and gray lines intersect at the end of blue line)

That is incorrect.

In terms of real (CPI adjusted) prices, this current bear, on its own timeline, is actually worse than the 1929-32 bear market.

In 1929-32, prices were falling significantly. So the stock market's value, in relation to a basket of goods, did not quite fall by as much as the nominal change was, since the basket became cheaper.

Right now, despite much talk about deflation, including the thread about steam gauges started by yours truly, deflation is either minuscule, or does not exist, depending on who you listen to.

So, for a very scary picture, try to apply CPI adjustments to the graph, and keep your heart medications nearby.

For another fun graph by Doug Short, look at this

This last one is a bit hard to believe, and also ignores dividends.

Ignoramus28258

Actually, Soug Short did think about it, here's the graph that shows exactly what I was mentioning -- inflation adjusted measure of stock declines.

We can see that so far, on the timeline, the current bear market is worse than 1929.

Reply to
Ignoramus28258

--------- Another good chart.

Reinforces my belief that a very large part of the peoples' "financial" economic gains over the last several years have been largely smoke and mirrors.

While there has been economic progress, the real part has been the houses we live in, the cars we drive, etc. (and even these have been "tainted" by home owner equity loans and 0 down financing). The 401ks, etc. are simply another snare and delusion, by which a "fool and his money are soon parted."

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

So do you keep your money in the mattress you sleep on or in the mattress in the guest room.

Which reminds me I bought a drill press 2 weeks ago and after it was loaded on the trailer, the not previous owner started reaching in behind the pulleys, he said he used to keep his luger in there and if I found it he would like to have it back.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
CarlBoyd

--Kewl! Time to go 'bottom fishing' draws nigh, bwahaha.

Reply to
steamer