FS JET1024 Lathe - Massachusetts

Hi All, i have a JET 1024 lathe that is now surlpus to my needs. This is (as you might have guessed) 10" swing, 24 inches between centers, 1-1/16" hole through the (threaded nose) spindle. It is a decent machine made in the early 80's in Taiwan. It lived most of its life in a classroom as part of a job retraining program until coming into my hands about

15 years ago. I bought 2 of these machines (consecutive serial #'s) from the same place. Both had been disassembled due to some damaged gears in the QC boxes. i made one complete one from the parts, that I still use, and slowly over time bought parts to repair and reassemble this one. Having just recently stumbled on a nice old Sheldon, I now need to make room (4 lathes is too many for my space...) and am selling this one.

This machine was never used in production and has hardly any wear. I replaced the crummy chinese motor with a made in USA marathon single phase reversing unit. The paint is a bit chipped here and there, the paint on the stand is pretty crummy. The vee ways are hardened and in great condition. I know lots of folks pooh-pooh asian machines and while I am not suggesting that you would close your eyes and mistake this for a Hardinge, this IS a nice machine. The fit and finish is better than much of the current China stuff, and this is a pretty hefty and rigid machine (a bit over 600lbs IIRC) for a 10" bench style lathe. It is patterened after the larger Jet machines, like the 13" ones, rather than the 9X20's. It has the seperate drive bar for driving the carrage feed when not threading to save wear on the leadscrew. QC box cuts therads from 6tpi to 127tpi. It is mounted on a typical asian machine steel stand presently, but could be bench mounted. it is belt driven, 6 speeds plus backgear. Top speed is 1050, low end is 60 (i think). Its twin has served me very well for over 10 years in hobby and take-the-occasional-paying-one-off-job type service.

There are one or two noisey gears, but no missing teeth. The chuck is junk, i have 2 chuck backplates, 1 fitted to the junk 3 jaw, the other in unmachined. I do not have a lot of tooling with it, but it has a lantern type toolpost, tailstock, a live center and maybe a few other odds and ends.

Anyone interested could try it out, as it is semi-set up (though presently NOT properly leveled) to run.

I am located in NE Massachusetts, near Lowell. If anyone would like pictures, clarifications or whatever, feel free to email me directly. i am not really excited about attempting to ship it and would MUCH prefer a local sale. I could help load or maybe even deliver, if the deal is right. I am asking $575.00, but if you convince me you are a really nice guy (or gal) anything is negotiable.

Thanks, AL A.

Reply to
Al A.

That is a GOOOD price for that machine, based on others of the same vintage and make Ive seen.

Gunner

Gunner

Yep. I recently bought the equivalent Enco, similar vintage, for $600, giggled all the way home.

Rex B

Reply to
Rex

Thanks for the bit of feedback, Gunner. I was not really sure what to ask for this, as I don't really follow the market for this stuff around here. I find that if I look too much, I end up buying stuff. Heh. The Sheldon sort of found me and was really too nice to pass up. I am really not trying to make a killing here, just want to make some space and defray a bit of cost for the Sheldon, et-al.

I like to see my stuff that I no longer need end up with someone who will appreciate it. That is worth more to me than beating the last dime out of the deal, if you know what I mean.

AL A.

Reply to
Al A.

Reply to