G-codes past RS-274 a waste?

I'm beginning to think that the only reason why manufactures add complex cycles outside the RS-274 basic list is to save program size.

I'm trying to puzzle out what the difference is between a normal rectangular pocket cycle and the Bridgeport G172 "pocket frame" cycle.

I have a supposedly working sample program using the G172, but absolutely no docs on what its parameters are.

All it appears to do is make a rectangular pocket with ordinary radiused corners.

So, what's with the name "pocket frame"?

Anybody here know?

Thanks, LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:Xns9E44AF679ED25lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

As usual... I should have added something.

I have been using G-Simple to generate codes. Even with the "Brigeport" post processor, it doesn't generate extended codes. And, of course, it works fine. But it does make long programs, and the R2E4 has limited part program storage (yeah, I know... retrofit it! )

But I'm damned curious about these extensions, because they look useful, and G-simple's post processor is configurable.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It couldn't have anything to do with preventing programs from being portable from one brand of machine to another, of course.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

You have to wonder on that but I have a feeling in the pre-cad cam days creating a code that could do common tasks easily was a selling feature.

Wes

Wes

No -- I don't *know*. But guessing from the name, I would suggest that it does not bother clearing out the center area -- it

*just* cuts the frame (probably for cutting through a thin workpiece to make a rectangular window to mount something in a panel.

The main thing is that it will save time and tool wear if you only need to cut all the way through the workpiece instead of milling out a blind bottomed pocket.

Try it and see what it does. (Or do you not have the machine off the trailer and running yet?)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@Katana.d-and-d.com:

Did... that's why I'm asking. It just milled a pocket, as far as I can see, just like any other canned pocket cycle.

Oh, yes, the machine makes parts, but so far only with G-simple codes, which (even with basic post-processing) gives only the basic moves. It doesn't use canned cycles unless specifically instructed by the post processor defs. (that's understandable, since every machine has different canned cycles).

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Was the pocket large enough relative to the end mill so it would have needed to make extra passes to clear out the center?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@Katana.d-and-d.com:

Yes, Don. That would be intuitively obvious. I milled a 2.5" square "pocket frame" .125" deep with a 3/8" bit, just to be sure.

G78 == Pocket Mill G172 == Pocket Frame Mill

So far, the only thing I can see that is apparently different (don't have any docs on the parameters, except from ONE programming example) is that the "pocket frame" cycle appears to have a parameter for the radius of the corners.

???

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Good enough! That was not clear from what I saw before.

O.K. It may have another parameter for width of frame, and when not set, it defaults to normal pocketing.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@Katana.d-and-d.com:

Possible, but the one example I have is _supposed_ to mill an island, and doesn't, just a pocket.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

O.K. An island is sort of like what I was thinking of -- but just not penetrating through the workpiece. And then, yes it *should* have extra parameters to show the size of the outer part and the island itself. The example must be missing something. (Hmm ... perhaps an M-code is used to set two of the parameters prior to invoking the others in the G-code?) Does the example code have an M-code somewhere above the G-code in question -- or perhaps immediately following it? (There are some G-codes which work like that on my little Emco-Maier Compact-5 CNC lathe, and some which are extremely picky about the values of parameters, e.g. when turning a radius of less than 90 degrees. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols