the kids think I'm nuts

fedex just delivered my 1/72 Lindberg sub. opened it all up and taped the hull sections together and put it on the mantle.

took up the whole damn thing. not the slightest idea where this is going to go when/if built. but then we don't think about such things, do we.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

a quick look at the instructions. It is in a magazine format. the hull is screwed together and it appears that there are hull plates that go over the seam connecting the four sections comprising the hull. Sure am glad they did that! Looks like a pretty straightforward build. the pieces are all big so us old folks can see them, and see where they go. One page of weathering tips by the builder of the kit. I think that will be the thing that takes the longest in this build. Going to need lots of paint cans from Ace Hardware. The color call out for the entire hull is gloss black. Anyone here confirm that?

Email me for any specifics and I will try and help you decide whether or not to make the plunge and buy it.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

How about a semi-confirmation? The fleet submarine on display at the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park

-- Click here for a picture of it) has the USS Croaker and it's painted in a weathered (due to Buffalo weather) matt black, brand new was more glossy.

Reply to
The Old Man

Nope, but I never let that stop me. I'm building a 1/48 model of the

1854 USS Constellation. When finished, it will be about 6 feet long and about 5 feet high. I have no idea where it will go. I guess I'll have to move the bed out of the spare bedroom. Maybe build a small greenhouse and put it on display in the yard.
Reply to
rwalker

Only now? Mine figured that out years ago. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

jeebus! all scratched, i'm guessing?

Reply to
someone

other people's kids think i'm nuts.

Reply to
someone

Been on it many times. Maybe you can put a 1/48 nerd and his dad touring it, circa 1979 ;)

Reply to
eyeball

Yes. It's a looooong term project.

Reply to
rwalker

I've done the same. I'll have to pet a couple of nerds on board :)

Reply to
rwalker

good reason to live long and perspire.

Reply to
someone

Younger kid is living back home now. He thinks all us '60s people are all useless and burned out now. He thinks our generation is worthless.....

Didn't help that I backed his new 2009 Hemi pick up into a pole right after we drove all the way cross country without a hitch. Wow, a couple of months and a new bumper later, and he is STILL pissed....

Thats OK. His MoM just found out the hard way not to call him @ 6am on a school day. Wow, she still hasn't figured out what happened.

Damn, kid's are great until the little F#@$'ers decide to talk a lot and critique you. (I can and do cut him slack, PTSD is ugly...)

AM

Reply to
AM

and they get wierd about stupid stuff. i used the nephews drive to turn around in and he says it's disrepecting him. says i'm basically flipping him off. it was different when i bailed him out of detroit and got him going here.... now he's an arrogant ingrate. i'm glad he moved back to mommy's town. she changes his diapers. you didn't give him the car, did you? i gave nephew a pu and that was a mistake. children and dogs as mr wc used to say.

Reply to
someone

And youre disrespecting him ?? Hell, I'd spend the rest of my life turning around there lol.. Naw, I didn't give him the truck, kid has more $$ than I do. Guess thats why he is so PO'd, but then at over $500 mo payment, I can understand. (well maybe for 10 seconds or so...)

Reply to
AM