garage door lubricant

On 13 Jun 2015 01:08:44 -0300, Mike Spencer

From Wkipedia-
All nitrogen fertilizers are made from ammonia (NH3), which is sometimes injected into the ground directly. The ammonia is produced by the Haber-Bosch process.[5] In this energy-intensive process, natural gas (CH4) supplies the hydrogen and the nitrogen (N2) is derived from the air. This ammonia is used as a feedstock for all other nitrogen fertilizers, such as anhydrous ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) and urea (CO(NH2)2). Deposits of sodium nitrate (NaNO3) (Chilean saltpeter) are also found in the Atacama desert in Chile and was one of the original (1830) nitrogen-rich fertilizers used.[11] It is still mined for fertilizer.[12]
In the USA in 2004, 317 billion cubic feet of natural gas were consumed in the industrial production of ammonia, less than 1.5% of total U.S. annual consumption of natural gas.[76] A 2002 report suggested that the production of ammonia consumes about 5% of global natural gas consumption, which is somewhat under 2% of world energy production.[77]
Ammonia is produced from natural gas and air.[78] The cost of natural gas makes up about 90% of the cost of producing ammonia.[79] The increase in price of natural gases over the past decade, along with other factors such as increasing demand, have contributed to an increase in fertilizer price.[80]
wrote: >>>I suppose you know that all "synthetic" oils are made from

The MSDS reveals nothing useful: http://www.texasexpresslube.com/documents/MSDS/Mobil%201%205W-30.pdf
-jsw
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:42:33 -0400, Ed Huntress

I was told all "petroleum" products in South Africa in the late sixties/early seventies came from coal and natural gas.
Natural gas and even "coal gas" can be used to syntheaize oil - but it is easier to use "heavier" feedstock.
On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 21:04:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Right. Chemistry is not my thing, but I'm told that ethylene is a commodity that can come from oil or gas. Still, the people at Exxon-Mobil told me that their synthetic products are made from petroleum.
I suppose it doesn't matter.
--
Ed Huntress

As student chemists we learned only enough about petroleum refining that we could understand the explanations of proprietary processes if we found a job in that industry. The Mobil 1 MSDS shows they don't reveal much.
In principle we can make any organic (carbon-based) chemical from pure carbon; coal or charcoal. The methods chosen in practice depend on economics and politics more than chemistry. http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/keep-asking/how-is-coal-converted-to-oil-and-gasoline.htm
-jsw
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 17:03:59 -0400, Ed Huntress

I read the Kingston web page to my wife, who grew up cooking on charcoal, and she declared it as "utterly false" (I translated her reply which was a bit more colorful) or, she commented, "those foreigners don't know much about cooking with charcoal" :-)

--
cheers,

John B.
On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 5:04:04 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

?
f-8&oe=utf-8

Interesting note: Scott Logan says that, with the exception of the geared-h eadstocks, he uses #2 way oil for EVERY PART of his Logan lathes, So much f or all the specialty stuff. When it comes to caring for my Logan, I'm going to take advice from Scott before I take it from Exxon-Mobil.
On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 06:40:39 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

Well, the general cast of the discussion I had with that Exxon-Mobil engineer was more like that of Scott than that of the "specialty" lube makers. She said that it doesn't make a lot of difference until you get into really complex lube tasks like lubricating a car engine.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 06:40:39 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

But what is #2 Way Oil?
--
cheers,

John B.
Dicker wrote:

Dry dusty areas - Teflon based dry lube spray
Reasonably dust free areas - Motorcycle chain lube.
--
Steve W.

Jeez. I've used left-over motor oil on mine for 38 years. They're still going strong.
I started with 10W-40. Now we're at synthetic 5W-20. Whatever is left over goes into my "what the hell" pump oiler.
--
Ed Huntress

On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 10:53:08 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

Once motor oil leaves the engine, it should ONLY go to recycling. It shouldn't be used for anything else.
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:03:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I didn't say "used." I said "left-over," as in the drips that are left in the bottom of a can of oil when you change the oil in your car or lawn mower.
--
Ed Huntress

On 6/11/2015 12:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

How about as a release agent on concrete forms? [rhetorical]
On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 12:03:47 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Makes great chainsaw bar oil. I'm sure you'll tell me how bad I'm polluting now.
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 19:14:43 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton

Yum, bypassed combustion products and acids on my chainsaw bar, sprocket, and chain...I can't _wait_ to try that at home!
--
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
it takes away today's peace. --Lifehack
On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 8:37:16 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

e:

shouldn't be used for anything else.

ting now.

I don't run my hands up and down the chain or bar except during adjustments and with work gloves. And I don't eat the firewood. And just exactly how much exposure is there when stacking the firewood when I'm usually using w ork gloves again? See how silly this exposure to toxins can become. Go ahea d and pay for bar oil. Your dime.
On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 07:23:27 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton

Who's talking about toxins? Not I. But dirty oil stinks and acids eat bars, chains, and sprockets. Go ahead and recycle those onto your chainsaw. Your extra dimes.

You bet I will. And next decade, I'll buy another $6 gallon.
--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 10:30:40 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

rote:

om>

It shouldn't be used for anything else.

lluting now.

nts and with work gloves. And I don't eat the firewood. And just exactly how much exposure is there when stacking the firewood when I'm usually usin g work gloves again? See how silly this exposure to toxins can become.

No, the "acids" from diesel crankcase oil don't eat anything on 3000 mile o il changes. I'm anal about oil changes on my truck. I'll concede it doesn't smell nice like bar oil. But, no, on the acids. If they did, I'd be going through chains, bars and sprockets. I'm not. I'm saving money that would have been wasted on bar oil.
On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 21:03:13 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton

Granted, it's worse with gasoline engines. And short oil changes uses the money you would have "wasted" on bar oil.
It's a draw. :^)