garage door lubricant

The jargon in that business is so fouled up that you might mean anything. Artists make at least a dozen varieties, several of them "boiled," and some of them "heat-bodied," some "stand oil," some "sun-thickened," and so on. They're old terms that refer to many different heat treatments that have been used through the centuries. There is no single "lore."

Very nice. Carry on, Lloyd.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I was told all "petroleum" products in South Africa in the late sixties/early seventies came from coal and natural gas.

Natural gas and even "coal gas" can be used to syntheaize oil - but it is easier to use "heavier" feedstock.

Reply to
clare

Right. Chemistry is not my thing, but I'm told that ethylene is a commodity that can come from oil or gas. Still, the people at Exxon-Mobil told me that their synthetic products are made from petroleum.

I suppose it doesn't matter.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I started using canola oil on my cast iron decades ago. Boil out the pan, reboil and wipe with un-soaped cloth. Heat it on the stove until very hot, pour in some canola oil, swipe around, and let sit, cooling for 5 minutes, then wipe down with paper towel to remove excess oil. Once the pan is cool, it's seasoned and ready. I use 3:1 virgin coconut oil to butter as my "oil" for cooking. Neither leaves it sticky.

Ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Heathen monster! Thou Shalt -Not- Soap the Cast Iron Pan, EVER!

Yeah, properly seasoned cast iron is as good or better than PTFE.

Omelettes must take hours, then. Condolences.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Who's talking about toxins? Not I. But dirty oil stinks and acids eat bars, chains, and sprockets. Go ahead and recycle those onto your chainsaw. Your extra dimes.

You bet I will. And next decade, I'll buy another $6 gallon.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

rote:

It shouldn't be used for anything else.

nts and with work gloves. And I don't eat the firewood. And just exactly how much exposure is there when stacking the firewood when I'm usually usin g work gloves again? See how silly this exposure to toxins can become.

No, the "acids" from diesel crankcase oil don't eat anything on 3000 mile o il changes. I'm anal about oil changes on my truck. I'll concede it doesn't smell nice like bar oil. But, no, on the acids. If they did, I'd be going through chains, bars and sprockets. I'm not. I'm saving money that would have been wasted on bar oil.

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

For the burned-on crud on the *outside* of my cast iron ware, I apply a coarse [1] 3M Clean'n'Strip(tm) wheel or the Walther equialent every couple of years. These flexible mesh wheels cut well enough to remove

*any* organic crud (or even mill scale from new stock) without gouging the base metal. I have a circa 1925 B&D end grinder that's just right for the application. [1] 3M makes them in 3 grades. But it's so much bother to get stuff from the 3M industrial catalogue that I usually go for Walther from a local dealer.
Reply to
Mike Spencer

Since neither of those (nor other natural has) contains significant amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus or potassium, there must be more to the story than that one sentence reveals.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

As student chemists we learned only enough about petroleum refining that we could understand the explanations of proprietary processes if we found a job in that industry. The Mobil 1 MSDS shows they don't reveal much.

In principle we can make any organic (carbon-based) chemical from pure carbon; coal or charcoal. The methods chosen in practice depend on economics and politics more than chemistry.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'm not a chemist so I can't argue one way or the other. All I can say is that I know of two "fertilizer plants" in Indonesia that made fertilizer from natural gas. I seem to remember the "Habor, or maybe Haber, process" being mentioned.

Reply to
John B.

I've been waiting for that mailbomb to explode. What took so long?

"Official word straight from a fourth-generation cast iron manufacturer-soap will NOT ruin your cast."

I dilute the Dawn to 1/10 - 1/20 strength in the one-hand pump dispenser beside the sink and squirt only a drop or two into the pan. There isn't quite enough to remove all the olive oil and maybe sausage fat. The water beads up and runs off when I hang the pan vertically over the drying rack.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The Haber Process turns nitrogen from the air and hydrogen from natural gas into ammonia, which can then be converted into solid urea for fertilizer.

German chemists developed this and the method for making gasoline from coal during the wars when they were cut off from petroleum. At the time they weren't economical for nations with better access to raw materials but they have become so as the natural supply diminished.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I hadn't seen it? I forced a girlfriend to eat the next omelet from the pan once I caught her soaping my cast iron skillet. She almost threw up from the taste. Then I showed her how to clean it, desoap it, and season it properly. She's been a believer ever since.

It ruins it for ME. That's enough.

Cast iron is extremely porous. Soap simply taints the pan for ten more (soapless) washings so you have the taste of the soap and all its perfumes in your _food_ for that entire time. If you like that, carry on, but I'll still openly call ya a heathen for doing so. ;) The reason cast iron has such a bad name in many circles is because their idiot housewives used soap in them. I've helped dozens of misinformed people to rediscover the worth of these fine metal pans after ceasing soap use with them. Soap? Just Say NO!

Well, your dilution helps, but the Ick factor is still high.

I learned to boil my pan with plain water when it had to be cleaned, then to reseason. It has never failed me, and I _much_ prefer the soap-free taste, thankyouverymuch. I wipe my pans after use and reseason frequently used pans once every week or two. The boiled water helps keep the kitchen drain clear, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Granted, it's worse with gasoline engines. And short oil changes uses the money you would have "wasted" on bar oil.

It's a draw. :^)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you can taste the soap, then you've stripped off too much of the oxidized oil. Like Jim, I stopped listening to that "no soap" stuff around 30 years ago. My 48-year-old and 39-year-old pans don't taste like soap, and I wash them with soap almost every time I use them. Likewise, my c.i. Dutch oven, my c.i. griddle, and my two French carbon-steel saute pans.

Just don't scrub too hard or too long and you won't have to re-cure the pan. Get it just right, and you'll only have to strip the pan every 10 years or so, but it will remain stick-free all the while.

Spurious quotation, first recorded on the Internet in 2007. Jefferson never said it or anything like it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Interesting note: Scott Logan says that, with the exception of the geared-h eadstocks, he uses #2 way oil for EVERY PART of his Logan lathes, So much f or all the specialty stuff. When it comes to caring for my Logan, I'm going to take advice from Scott before I take it from Exxon-Mobil.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Well, the general cast of the discussion I had with that Exxon-Mobil engineer was more like that of Scott than that of the "specialty" lube makers. She said that it doesn't make a lot of difference until you get into really complex lube tasks like lubricating a car engine.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

From Wkipedia-

All nitrogen fertilizers are made from ammonia (NH3), which is sometimes injected into the ground directly. The ammonia is produced by the Haber-Bosch process.[5] In this energy-intensive process, natural gas (CH4) supplies the hydrogen and the nitrogen (N2) is derived from the air. This ammonia is used as a feedstock for all other nitrogen fertilizers, such as anhydrous ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) and urea (CO(NH2)2). Deposits of sodium nitrate (NaNO3) (Chilean saltpeter) are also found in the Atacama desert in Chile and was one of the original (1830) nitrogen-rich fertilizers used.[11] It is still mined for fertilizer.[12]

In the USA in 2004, 317 billion cubic feet of natural gas were consumed in the industrial production of ammonia, less than 1.5% of total U.S. annual consumption of natural gas.[76] A 2002 report suggested that the production of ammonia consumes about 5% of global natural gas consumption, which is somewhat under 2% of world energy production.[77]

Ammonia is produced from natural gas and air.[78] The cost of natural gas makes up about 90% of the cost of producing ammonia.[79] The increase in price of natural gases over the past decade, along with other factors such as increasing demand, have contributed to an increase in fertilizer price.[80]

Reply to
clare

Haber

again from Wiki -

The 1910s and 1920s witness the rise of the Haber process and the Ostwald process. The Haber process produces ammonia (NH3) from methane (CH4) gas and molecular nitrogen (N2). The ammonia from the Haber process is then converted into nitric acid (HNO3) in the Ostwald process.[96] The development of synthetic fertilizer has significantly

half the people on the Earth are currently fed as a result of synthetic nitrogen fertilizer use.[97]

Reply to
clare