Glass baking tray explosion

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 20:12:08 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Au contraire, mon ami! That was a larger dish than a simple pie plate. Doesn't the concept "Mo fo me!" work for ya?

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 23:09:12 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus2624 scrawled the following:

I'll bet the phrase "scarred heavily" came from a speaking weasel (attorney) who took up the Righteous Fight for Justice Against Lime Glass. ;) Feh!

WARNING: Glass can shatter. Use care around it! 'Nuff said? I think so.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry, read that snopes webpage. It does not just shatter, it exlpodes for almost no reason.

I want to replace my Pyrex dishes with borosilicate ones now.

Ignoramus16938

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 07:52:39 -0400, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

I've decided that apple turnovers (humongous babies) are much easier than making apple pies. That said, I need to go pick some apples. My Golden Delicious are ready now. I picked/halved/froze about 20 lbs of Santa Rosa plums last week. Plum Bisquick coffee cake is ta die for.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Given your proclivity for clever entrepreneurship, maybe you can make a business out of importing them from Europe, eh?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

But...but...but...thats like serving a very very expensive 1951 Rothschild wine, hot and in a A&W rootbeer mug!!!

Its simply against the law!!! Or at the least..common decency.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

My proclivity for clever entrepreneurship is very limited. This sounds like a great way to lose a lot of money. I am also trying, with varying degree of success, to restrict my entrepreneurial efforts to algebra.com only.

Ignoramus16938

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 11:46:22 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus16938 scrawled the following:

Aw, pshaw! You're getting as gunshy as that guy from Joisey has become. They only explode from thermal shock. Read the Origin: lines at Snopes, eh? (shit, we can't cut'n'paste from Snopes any more) "Such explosions have to do with the nature of the glass..."

Wuss. ;)

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm certainly not going to argue with someone who's had the experience. My parents once made a fair amount of money importing Sabatier chef's knives from France, but I didn't inherit the genes.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I have news for you, these dishes are used to hold hot things and cold things and to be put in hot ovens.

Ignoramus16938

Larry misread the article. He should look around for more info on tempered glass.

Tempered glass shatters because of a sudden release of stress in the glass, not from thermal shock. It doesn't matter if the tipping-point stress comes from a mechanical load or heat. Neither one causes the "explosion."

Tempered glass is compressed in the middle, and under tension on both sides. It's the release of the INTERNAL stress, not some stress imposed from outside, that produces the explosive results.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed,

I know you've contributed other comments to this thread with the correct stress orientation but thought I'd just correct this one. IIRC the whole basis of many processes which help prevent cracking is to impart a compressive surface stress as cracks don't propagate in a compressive stress field, only tensile.

BTW any idea if boro Pyrex is toughened, I may have to see if anyone I know has any polarising filters and have a look for internal stress in the stuff I have. The odd Pyrex piece I have broken, by dropping on a hard kitchen floor, has broken into shards and not shattered like toughened glass.

Reply to
David Billington

Thank you. I caught it mentally as I was driving to the grocery store. Too late.

IOW, I got it backwards: Compression on the outside, chewy on the inside...er, tension on the inside.

I have no idea. Wikipedia has a good section on it, I see, but I haven't had a chance to read it. You might check there.

FWIW, my only experience at abusing Pyrex was when I made a 6" telescope mirror out of the stuff, over 40 years ago. That piece, I'm sure, wasn't tempered or toughened. It would have wrecked the shape.

However, that was a blank made expressly for the purpose.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That sounds right. I was working on that mirror right at the time we moved, then I put it aside and packed it up when I got really busy. I still haven't parabolized it. Maybe another decade or two -- if I can still find it. I have to do it before my eyes go.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It was indeed Ed and having gound the glass for an eight inch Newtonian, I can tell you that is was annealed.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Since Borosilicate glass has a very low coef of expansion, I think it would be impossible to temper it by using temperature. And since it is about 97% quartz, I think chemical tempering as also out.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Hey Larry,

Turn off javascript for a moment. It defeats their childish trick.

Wes

Such explosions have to do with the nature of glass, which is the material used in the manufacture of this type of bakeware. When glass changes temperature rapidly, it experiences thermal shock, a process wherein different parts of the material expand by different amounts. Sometimes glass vessels are unable to take the stress of that uneven expansion and shatter.

Reply to
Wes

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:28:02 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

How about a cheap 1951 Rothschild wine?

Like putting ketchup on your eggs.

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 13:49:22 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus16938 scrawled the following:

Not news. The site goes on to say (and I already knew) that thermal shock results when the hot item is set on an ice cold countertop. Well DUH! You won't take an item in a Pyrex container directly from the freezer and put it in a preheated oven or onto a preheated stovetop burner, either, if you're sane.

C'mon, Ig. 66 complaints out of how many tens of millions of lime glass Pyrex dishes put out and used in 3 decades here in the USA? Get real! It's a very, very slim percentage which shatters like this. In

35 years of cooking, all the Pyrex I've broken has been from dropping on the hard floor, or dropping the lid onto the glass casserole dish. IOW, _my_ fault, not the Pyrex'.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

-------------- Oh, NO! Have you never tasted "Mom's Apple Cobbler" by Dixie Lily Flour Company?

It MUST be done in a glass baking pan, and it MUST be the best apple/flour/sugar ANYTHING anyone has ever tasted!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh