Glass baking tray explosion

Wal--I remember the first auto matick washin mashine we had--It wuz a Bendix with a PIEREX pie plate in the front loading door, so the cat could watch the clothes tumblin.

Reply to
Jerry Wass

[snip example of text pasted in]

Yes, I see that javascript function disableselect() in the html. Two other methods in firefox to bypass that are to press either ctrl-A (which selects all text, which you then copy/paste into an editing window and then select the bit you want) or ctrl-U (which opens an html source window where you can select what you want).

Reply to
James Waldby

I'm assuming you use Firefox... Will that trick work with modern versions of IE? Years ago you had to close and re-open IE for this change to take affect. Thus creating a paradox on sites which would not display the content to those with Java script turned off.

Vaguely remember an ugly work around for this one as well. Switched to Linux seven years ago, and appreciate these little reminders of just why:)

Reply to
William Bagwell

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 18:26:56 -0400, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Hey, good trick, Wes. JS abort measures usually come with a warning. Theirs didn't and I didn't look.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 15:30:50 -0700, the infamous pyotr filipivich scrawled the following:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Listen up, boys: _Any_ dish, if large enough, is OK for apple pie/betty/cobbler/streudel/tarts/fritters/crisp, GOT IT?

Good!

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have not better explanation.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

You mean like this?

cavelamb

They were called "Czar's Tears", if memory serves.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Damn you, I'm going to be craving fruit pastries all damn day now! :)

Reply to
John Husvar

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

I misremembered. Borosilicate glass is more like 80% quartz. Vycor is the one that is about 97 % quartz. But I do not think that Borosilicate glass could be tempered chemically in the way that sodium glass is tempered.

Vycor is Borosilicate glass that has been chemically modified to make it have a lower coef of expansion. So you could say that Borosilicate glass can be made more resistant to breaking from heating and cooling.

Reply to
dcaster

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 09:05:21 -0400, the infamous John Husvar scrawled the following:

Bwahahahaha! So, John, didja go out and buy one today? I still have some banana bread I made so I won't be making another plum coffee cake for a few more days.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There was probably only one or two went spontaneously, the rest would have been a chain reaction.

Years ago I read somewhere about chain reactions at CRT manufacturing plant, one tube in the line would spontaneously implode and the flying chunks of glass knocked off the tube either side, sometimes the effect would shoot along the line in both directions like falling dominoes.

Reply to
ian field

Nah, dammit, I managed to control myself and keep to my weight-loss program. Trying to keep from getting too heavy to handle my wheelchair easily. It's great upper body exercise, until your shoulders give out.

Power chair's nice, but doesn't do a damn thing for your muscle tone.

However: Sometimes self-discipline SUCKS! :)

Reply to
John Husvar

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:44:01 -0400, the infamous John Husvar scrawled the following:

Sure they do. Simply do your pullups and chinups with the chair strapped to your waist. Talk about wonderful upper body exercise...

Just _sometimes_?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This article was geared more towards runners, but it should also apply to you:

Unless you have a bad genetic trait or some old injury, odds are good that you won't be wearing out those shoulders. I ran down some other articles too after hearing/reading that one. They pretty much agreed with it.

I sympathize with your situation, I run and walk a lot to keep my weight inline. Still enjoy eating, not much else... hard enough to do with my legs intact.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Don't know about baking dishes or CRT's but I have seen several bottles of home brew in a plastic case blow in sequence. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Well, I have a fair collection of old injuries, but no major shoulder ones. Good news maybe? I used to do 5 miles a day in my manual chair, as an excuse to get out of the house and to meet 'n' greet neighbors. I suppose I could start those daily "walks" again. Build back the mileage slowly.

MS has a way of making me feel fatigued whether I do anything strenuous or not.

Thanks to it and a pre-diagnosis spinal cord injury, it's sometimes too easy to just vegetate. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

If I ever get to where I can do pullups with 300 pounds of power wheelchair strapped on, I won't need to worry abut overeating fruit pastries! (or paying for them: Guiness, Ripley's, here I come!:)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Guiness!

OK, most of the time.

Reply to
John Husvar

Has anyone had any experience using Visions cookware as a crucible for aluminum or pot metal ? I used a cast iron pot to melt aluminum as described in the Dave Gingery books and wondered if anyone has tried this.

Reply to
snowbertca

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 19:44:58 -0400, the infamous John Husvar scrawled the following:

You'd sure be in shape then, right? ;)

Eek! Having quit long ago, I no longer see how I could have -ever- stomached beer. It just reeks to me now.

La Pistola? I should re-up at the range and go practice with all my weapons, too. The need for self-defense appears to be skyrocketing these days.

Reply to
Larry Jaques