Glass baking tray explosion

That's what tempered glass is. Stressed glass. Cooled with blowers so the skin hardens while the inside is still molten. As the inside then cools and hardens, it's in tension while the skin is in compression.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I didn't know that Pournelle wrote 90% of the science fiction books.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Larry Niven wrote the rest...

:)

Reply to
cavelamb

Sure you can. Just 'View Page Source' and copy it from there. Here is a snip from that page:

About 5:30 PM there was a loud bang from the oven. Sylvia opened the oven door and the Pyrex dish had shattered into a million pieces. The roast beef (our first in many months) was peppered with small shards of very sharp glass. Normally, I am quick to inform Sylvia she did something stupid. However, this time she was nowhere near the stove when it blew. I shoveled the glass and the now mashed potatoes into a bucket with two putty knives. I then sucked the remains with the shop vac. I let everything cool down and then scrubbed the oven with Simple Green and some hot soapy water. It took over an hour to clean up the goo. Upon completion I ran the oven empty to see if the temperature controller was working okay. I suspected the oven got too hot and the dish simply blew. This was not the case however. The oven came up to temperature and cycled normally. We threw a disgusting frozen pizza in the oven and it cooked okay.

What is going on?

I Googled exploding Pyrex dishes and got ten million hits. Exploding Pyrex is very common.

Here is the story.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well I feel like crap, tired most of the time too and I don't have any good reason for it, far as I can tell. I figured it was just getting old and there really isn't anything I looking forward to doing (other than eating).

My hats off to you, you're handling the situation a whole heck of a lot better than myself...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

That is why I am reading early Science Fiction, from before they screwed up the concept.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I started feeling like that last August. It grew a bit worse through January.

Then I had a heart attack because all the arteries on the left side of my heart finally gave full notice they were plugged up.

Im only 55. Im in good conditon..in fact I was in better condition that guys half my age. Could lift more, run farther, work longer etc etc

Which saved my life by the doctors admissions. If Id not been in such damned good shape..Id never have made it to the ER, let along walked in and asked to speak to a doctor.

Get yourself checked out..and get a second opinion.

In November, Bakersfield Heart Hospital told me everything was fine..I simply had bronchitus and sent me home after billing me $15,000 for 8 hours sitting and 30 minutes with a nurse practicioner.

Gunner

GUNNER'S PRAYER: "God grant me the serenity to accept the people that don't need to get shot, the courage to shoot the people that need shooting and the wisdom to know the difference. And if need be, the skill to get it done before I have to reload."

0
Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thanks for the concern/suggestions Gunner, but I'm quite sure the real problem lies somewhere between my ears.

Do you remember the old movie "Short Circuit" and Number 5 saying "more input, NEED MORE INPUT!". More input is what turns my screws other than eating. Not just any input, but something like hiking to a waterfall, champion tree, learning a new software program, updating an old software program, learning how to use new (new to me at least) tools/equipment... just can't afford the budget to do that all the time.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people with the same problem, they just seem to deal with it better. And then there are those who seem to be happy and refreshed to just wake up every morning ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

i just got one of those long forwarded messages on this topic.

Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 10:00 AM

Got any new Pyrex dishes in your cooking utensils? This is a must read.

I Checked at Wall Mart and all the warnings are there.

[...]

A long, long time ago in a country we all know and love was a company named Corning. They made Pryex dishes. The material they used is called borosilicate glass. This stuf f is indestructible. But like everything else, the Bottom Liners had a great idea: sell the technology to another company. The Chinese discovered that using soda lime glass was almost as good as borosilicate glass and a lot cheaper. Today, Wal-Mart is the largest distributor of Pryex products. Corning not only sold the technology to a company called World Kitchen, they also sold the rights to the original Pyrex logo. Seamless. The consumer will never know.

Now it seems people are getting hurt using soda lime Pyrex. We were lucky because the dish broke while the oven was closed and the damage was limited to the oven cavity. Others have been less fortunate. Some dishes explode when they are lifted from the heating rack in the oven with devastating results. Some people are heavily scarred. World Kitchen is in denial. They say that the dishes are another brand, not theirs . Contrary to their denials the victims usually have more than one of these dishes and the Pryex logo is clearly visible.

If you buy a Pryex dish beware. The label on the front says oven safe, freezer safe, microwave safe. The instructions on the back tell another story. You cannot move a soda lime Pyrex dish from the freezer to the oven and expect it to survive. The fine print goes on and on about what you are not allowed to do with the Pyrex dish. The fine print has prevented World Kitchen from being sued because they have warned the consumer that their Pyrex dishes are junk from the get go. And they are the same price as the original Corning dishes. What a bunch of losers we all are for buying this crap.

What to do?

If you own borosilicate Pryex dishes no fear. They have to be more than 25 years old to be sure they are indeed Corning dishes. I am not sure if the20old Pryex dishes have anything stamped in them that indicates they are made by Corning.. You may continue to use the soda lime dishes for holding stuff. Just do not attempt to roast or microwave with them as the hazard is very clear.

The reason the soda lime dishes let go is that over time they develop micro-cracks. Once a few micro-cracks are present and once some liquid finds its way into the cracks you have the bomb situation. The liquid is like shoving a crowbar in the dish and pulling it apar t. Super heated liquids expand rapidly and it is the super heated liquids that force the soda lime glass to shatter into tens of thousands of shards.

Since Corning no longer makes Pyrex and Sylvia proudly holds a large collection of the soda lime Pyrex, we decided that one bomb in the kitchen is enough. The Pyrex dishes will go bye-bye in this week's trash. I do not know what we will use for cake and pie dishes going forward . If you have some suggestions we are listening.

I strongly urge you not to use the s oda lime Pyrex for the oven, stovetop or microwave. The slightest invisible crack is all it takes to have a mess and a possible injury.

Reply to
William Wixon