Good Deal on Indicator Holder

I get promotional emails from Rutland Tool, and they have a sale going on that caught my eye:

Down at the bottom, they have a Noga Flex Gage Holder marked down from $99.17 to $53.95 (have to use promotion code OB115 at checkout).

I've had one of these for about 15 years, and it is the one I use almost all the time. It's very easy to set up at weird angles, has a good reach, and it's plenty rigid once it's locked down. It's also the smallest magnetic base I've seen with the quick release button. I think I paid close to $75 for mine, and considered it a good deal.

No relationship to Rutland, etc. If I didn't already have one, I'd snap this up in an instant. As it is, I had to wrestle with whether I really had any use for a second one.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I've always wondered how well those things worked, in particular how firmly the clamps prevent creeping, and how firmly the magnet sticks to a cast iron table.

Is the reach really only 2.2+2= 4.2 inches?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Joseph Gwinn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

That's the length of the arm. My indicators add a couple inches to that, and depending on how you set it up, the base adds a bit of height as well. I've hardly ever had an issue with it not reaching. Mostly I use it to center stuff on my lathe, and it's planty long enough for that. When locked down, it's quite rigid. I've also used the Flexbar holders. The small ones aren't nearly as nice as this unit, and the next step up is huge by comparison.

When you unlock these, they flop all over. I find the two rigid arms easier to deal with.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

It's a little short for my uses.

That's good to know. That was my worry.

I have one of these, bought used. It does work, but is a bit springy, and will droop if not perfectly adjusted. I did take it apart and clean it, which helped a lot.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I designed this with the Noga holders in mind, though the central clamping mechanism is different. The arms are 12" long, and it'll resist about 40 lbf at full reach.

The key is getting the bending in the arms right, such that the leaves at the central joint come together only after there's adequate clamping force on the balls at the ends, but before reaching the yield point of the steel.

Has anyone disassembled a Noga holder? I have a picture in my mind of what the guts may look like, but didn't have one availabe to take apart while I was working on this arm.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I got one of these when Doug first posted about the sale.

It is great! I have tried to make various devices to hold indicators and always came up short. This works just the way a holder should: easy to manipulate when loose & tightens up solidly.

This one does not have the quick release, but tilt-and-lift is easy enough with the narrow base. Which I also prefer.

The sale is still on. Shipping was $11, IIRC.

Get one - you deserve it, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I took mine a part when I recieved it. I can't accurately remember how it works. The last time I saw the device it was on the passenger front seat of my car just prior to the head on in December. Hopefully I'll find it in mom's GMC since she picked me up at the crash site. I'll look tomorrow on the way home and take pictures if I find it.

There are rods inside the arms if that helps you confirm your visage.

Btw, that little thing is nice, my co-worker has one and it is very useful. Someday I'll buy one to complement my larger square base Noga.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Well, I found the indicator base out in a box of stuff from the Saturn, still haven't found the indicator but it wasn't an expensive one.

Here are pictures for your edification.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Thanks, Wes. That's very close to what I conjured up.

Reply to
Ned Simmons