Good used tig welder

Hi Metal workers

I have enjoyed reading your past postings about the best small tig machine and have a couple of questions.

How do the chinese machines rate they seem to do everything plasma cutter, tig.stick. and how do you like your machine.

My son and I are building a 23 t-bucket and are looking for a tig machine to add to our shop Is there a good old tig machine that you could recommend to keep on the lookout for.

Thanks Ben and Nicky

Reply to
Ben

My Lincoln "Ideal Arc" is a great stick/TIG welder. Not as nice as the newer square waves etc. but a very nice welder. You just about have to find a used one locally. Shipping cost will kill you, otherwise.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hi Karl

Nick and I were at an auction of a high school shop class equipment and there was that very machines not sure of the model but it was very large and would have taken up to much of our small shop and your right on about moveing something that heavy realy adds to the cost. i just saw more adds on those tig welders from china, has any one give them a try . Thanks Ben

Reply to
Ben

Can you drive to China every time you need parts or have to have it fixed?

Stick with an American machine.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Your project presumably involves a fair amount of work with steel sheetmetal. I think you'd want a TIG with footpedal control and HF start. Scratch start is possible on steel, but HF is a lot easier to manage.

Why TIG vs MIG? Most autobody guys use MIG. It's a lot faster, a lot easier, lower first cost and it is capable of beautiful work on sheetmetal. Speed is an advantage because it minimizes distortion.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Ben, I have the Harbor Freight TIG. It is an inverter and DC only. Lift arc start and no remote control. It works quite well on about anything but aluminum. Aluminum is possible but really tough to make work. I also have a Miller Dialarc 250 with a TIG head that works much better on Aluminum and the heavier stuff. The Dialarc does not go down low enough for really fine, thin work. Knowing what you are planning to weld would help (23 Tbucket is a bit vague) The dryer outlet will run the HF machine just fine but you will be quite limited in output for some of the big old transformer machines. I can only get about 200 amps out of the Miller before I blow a

50 amp breaker. Glenn
Reply to
Glenn

I got a (well) used Lincoln Square-wave TIG 300, which will also do stick. Due to the fumes, I probably will NEVER do stick again. The machine is totally awesome. When I was first starting with it, I actually did a little welding with the HF, before realizing that that wasn't even the main welding current! You probably don't need square-wave for your work (presumably all steel). So, there are a wide range of TIG machines around. I would definitely get one with a good HF unit, that really makes starting and mainaining the arc a breeze.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson