Gov Surplus Gensets questions

I am wondering Gunner, are you going to bid on these gensets?

Ignoramus19234

I dont know yet. Ive got to talk to my backer

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious. michael

Reply to
Gunner

Some time ago I had a whacking great power bill that I knew was wrong. The power company suggested various ways to explain - mostly my fault. I suggested that the meter was up-it's-ass and demanded it be tested. They told me that if it was removed for testing and found ok I would have to pay for said testing (not a small amount). One day some short time later I returned home from work to find a new meter installed and the following bill was a huge credit note. Something to think about if an inventory of use fails to acount for your unusually high bill given your situation. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

On a related note, if you are in an area where they still do manual meter reading, the sometimes do read it wrong. While I was in CT in the last year before they switched to RF read meters they twice screwed up on the most significant digit of the meter.

When the bill shows a full 1,000 kwh over "normal" the best thing to do is go read the current meter reading and compare it to the reading indicated on the bill. In the week between the reading on the bill and the current reading there will of course be some difference, but not

1,000 kwh.

In both cases I found that the current reading was well below the reading listed on the bill and had to call in a corrected reading. In both cases they corrected the bill without question since the change I indicated clearly brought it in line with previous bills, and gave me the corrected amount to pay.

Presumably there could have been errors on other digits along the way, but since they are less significant they would not be very noticeable. The good thing for those amounts is that the next correct reading will normally put things back in line even if you don't call them.

With an error on the most significant digit it's likely that the next correct reading will make it worse since it will look like the meter rolled over. I once had a $15,000 bill on a service that was off at the main breaker. You'd think that the computer would flag when the new reading was exactly 1kwh less than the old reading. This was on an RF read meter, apparently it was teetering on the transition point and read the lower amount the second time.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.