Cincinnati Journeyman mill for sale in Chicagoland

I am not affiliated with the seller, other than by having made a bunch of $$ on reselling their stuff. This mill is too much for me to handle.
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?idY3128
CINCINNATTI MACHINE CO. JOURNEYMAN 320 VERTICLE MILLING MACHINE. 10"W X 52. 75"L. 3PH, 15A, 5HP, PLAIN TABLE. 28" TABLE LONGITUDINAL TRAVEL, 12" TABLE CROSS TRAVEL, 14" TABLE VERTICLE TRAVEL, SPINDLE TYPE VERTICLE SLIDING.

It's actually a Tree Journeyman Mill. Nothing at all to do with Cincinnatti Machine. Still a decent machine, though they are out of business.
--

Dan

Hm, the NSN info says it is cincinnati machine co... Not that I care too much...
Gee I guess you missed the picture with the 3 inch high letteres that say TREE.
Great buy for someone who needs a boat anchor.
I just LOVE machines that have no handles on them and a huge box full of 1960's TTL to control it.
Yeah I know all you have to do is retro about 2K work of drives and controller on it to find out the screws are too worn to be usefull.
TANSTAAFL
Dave

If I had to guess it's a late 1980's vintage machine. DC Servos. I can't remember who's components Tree used to use for the control and servos. I'll bet it wouldn't take much to get it going. With these gov. auctions you just never know. You might plug it in and it will work or the control box might be devoid of all components. The machine was made to be used with handles or with the control. For a $35.00 opening bid you could buy some handles and put a DRO on it and be way ahead of the game. OTOH, the listing is screwed up. The pictures don't match the description or the specs.
--

Dan

Good guess. Looks like it was made in 1979.

You may as well visit and check out.

Quite possibly.
These mills sell for about $700-1000 on ebay (unless I misidentified the mill's nature). There is no room for making a profit, considering the amount of hassle involved in moving a 5,000 lbs mill.
If I was rich, retired and had a forklift and a big shop, I could consider buying something like this.
i i
If I was rich and retired I'd buy the well maintained fully operational CNC Bridgeport a friend offered me for 5K. (and no I won't tell you where I'm saving my money.. LOL)
And just because it was made in 1979 doesn't mean that box isn't full of TTL ( they were still introducing new 7400 components back then, I know I was designing with them) .. Ooh and DC servos, that was well before FETS were in vogue, I bet it's using Darlington's to drive em... ought to heat the entire room too :-)
It's still looks like junk to me. I don't buy projects I buy tools.
Dave

I do not disagree with your conclusion.

Well this is a rec group.
--

Dan

Nah, it's not that old. 1984/85 at the most. They've got their listings all screwed up. This looks like the right description don't see the date though:
<http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?idY3129&convertTo=USD
--

Dan

I agree.
The paint is so nice but the table looks like it spent its life submerged in seawater.

I am not so sure. Bare metal always looks rusty when photographed with a flash. I predict that this behemoth will sell for $200-600.

Cosmoline looks like rust too. This machine isn't very big. No bigger than a series II Bridgeport.
--

Dan

Well, it is all relative, but it looks about 9 feet tall to me.
Also, it looks like it would be worth more than $800 on ebay.
So has anyone purchased a machine in HX condition?
HX Unserviceable - condemned-salvage Explanation: H = Material which has been determined to be unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria. X = Property has some value in excess of its basic material content, but repair or rehabilitation and/or uneconomical.

my generator
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/
was in condition HX. I restored it with some amount of work. The story of its restoration is on that webpage.
That said, I would certainly be very conservative regarding bidding on items in condition HX. As for that mill, I will not bid on it since I cannot handle 5,500 lbs mills.

This auction just ended and someone paid $2000 for this broken mill. I didn't expect it to go that high.

I am not sure that it is broken, but yes, it is quite amazing.