Huge milling machines for sale!

These are not mine, I have no stake in selling them. They are too much for me to handle. Just wanted to pass the word. For sale in Great Lakes military base, IL.

CINCINATTI MODEL DH MILLING MACHINE. SER #5J2P5U-2. 5HP, 1800 RPM,

3PH, 220/ 440V. MFG 1968. ...

CINCINATTI MODEL OO MILLING MACHINE. SIZE 2 SER #2J2P1Z-52. 440V,

3PH. ...

KEARNEY & TRUCKER MILLING MACHINE. 440V, 3PH, 6. 4A MAX LOAD. CAPACITY

100, 000 RMS AMPS. ...

Does anyone know how much these beasts weigh? The irony is that right now I do have a 3 phase generator in my yard, enough to run the first machine mentioned. They are probably too heavy though.

Ignoramus29457

I know that "everything is relative", but I wouldn't consider these machines "huge". Nice home shop tools. They weigh about 2500 pounds each, according to the data provided. There is a HUGE error in the ad for the third one; "6.3 amps max load" is too light for this machine and "capacity of 100,000 RMS amps" is more befitting of a HUGE transformer than a milling machine. If I had the room, I wouldn't mind having one of them in my shop. If you are considering bidding on one, don't forget the the tooling can easily cost you more than the machine will cost.

Pete Stanaitis

Ignoramus29457 wrote:

Reply to
Pete & sheri

My wife will murder me if I buy one of those milling machines.

2500 lbs is more than I can handle, practically speaking. i

Reply to
Ignoramus29457

Yep... I've got a horizontal mill nearly identical to the K&T depicted... K&T is my favorite mill manufacturer...

Considerably low, I think....

That is what bothered me about the 3 mills depicted.... no arbor supports? Nothing......? Another big consideration is the 3PH power....

Nah... once she sees how it keeps you off the streets and out of trouble, she'll be ok with it!

A pinch bar, some shims, and a few pieces of round stock and you would amaze yourself! My wife and I rearranged my shop about this time last year... including moving my Model D K&T Mill, which weighs about

5,200#
Reply to
Gene Kearns

It's a very rare occurence to find any machine tool up for bid at govliquidation that hasn't been totally ruined by sitting out in the weather for a couple of years. Can't remember how many Monarch 10EE lathes that were totally trashed by exposure to the elements. That's_my_tax money being thrown away there. It's just a damned shame.

Garrett Fulton

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Garrett Fulton

I agree with you, but these ones look rust free, more or less.

Ignoramus29457

Things were a lot nicer when you could go down to the DRMO and look at all the items before bidding. Our local one (Selfridge ANGB) used to have monthly auctions and cash/carry sales. Then they cut personnel and did fax/internet bidding for a while. I guess you cans till go to inspect an item you're bidding on but you have to make an appointment...

Reply to
Rick

You still can do that, at least in my area. I go to the base and look at stuff, once in a great while. Usually when picking up something else. I can open access doors, try to spin motors, etc, that sort of thing.

so, make an appointment!

Ignoramus29457

Ayup...good home shop machines for the serious hobbyist.

Though they weigh about 3600 lbs for the small one.

That DH is mighty nice

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." Scipio

Reply to
Gunner

Re: The wife and my machinery.. My wife comes home from work, sees a forklift sitting in the yard. She asks "Whose is that?". I reply, "mine". She asks"What are you going to do with THAT?". My reply "MOVE shit with it". Wife nods head acceptingly, goes on into house. That's one reason that I re-married her after we were once divorced for three years. Key item early on was to keep my money, her money, and joint living expense money as separate entities. You single guys better arrange this before marriage if you want to try it. It sure as hell won't fly afterwards, in most cases.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Very interesting. Really, though, I have no place for those milling machines.

Ignoramus8229

Reply to
RoyJ

SNIPING???!! That seems to be the name of the game on ebay today. Every item I've watched jumps in price exponentially within the last few minutes of the end of bidding. Anyone else seen this?

Bill in Phoenix, Az.

Reply to
Bill P

We did that and it has worked out great. We already had our own separate checking and credit card accounts prior to marriage. We opened a joint checking account and got a joint credit card account (two cards). We each make equal contributions to the joint account each month and all "joint" expenses are paid from it.

You may wish to adjust the "equal contribution" factor for your own particular circumstances, but since our incomes are roughly equal, this works for us.

It has been 15 years now and we both highly recommend it. If my wife wants to splurge on some special fabric, yarn, or the pens she collects, it is none of my business. Likewise, she doesn't quiz me about the boxes from MSC, Powell's, etc.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Frisbie

||Backlash wrote: || ||> Key item early on was to keep my money, her money, and joint living ||> expense money as separate entities. || ||We did that and it has worked out great. We already had our ||own separate checking and credit card accounts prior to marriage. ||We opened a joint checking account and got a joint credit card ||account (two cards). We each make equal contributions to the ||joint account each month and all "joint" expenses are paid from it. || ||You may wish to adjust the "equal contribution" factor for ||your own particular circumstances, but since our incomes are ||roughly equal, this works for us. || ||It has been 15 years now and we both highly recommend it. ||If my wife wants to splurge on some special fabric, yarn, or ||the pens she collects, it is none of my business. Likewise, ||she doesn't quiz me about the boxes from MSC, Powell's, etc.

I agree. With my first wife most of our issues came down to money - I earned it, she spent it. 2nd wife we do just as you describe, joint contibutions adjusted for the (diminishing) variance in income. I buy toys as I want and can afford them, she buys cars and clothes likewise. I have no idea what she has in her account, but it's a joint account in case of emergency. I highly recommmend it, although it may not work as well for a couple living paycheck-to-paycheck. Requires a sharper pencil and more communication, at the very least. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
rex