Grob Bandsaw Problem

This isn't actually a problem per se, though it may be and I just don'

know it yet. I have a Grob Bandsaw at work, it is a 24" vertical mode number NS24. On the front of this bandsaw at the lower right corner i a foot pedal. This foot pedal is all the way down and won't come bac up. I got to looking inside the "cabinet" on the bottom half of the sa that houses the motor and pulleys and this pedal is attached to rectangular bar that runs horizontal from front to the back of th machine, though not out the back. The bar has one pivot point, and a the end of the bar opposite the foot pedal is a vertical rod about 3/ diameter. It runs up through the top of the lower "cabinet". Also i this assembly, right behind where the pedal bar enters the front of th "cabinet" is a hydraulic shock absorber, I don't know that that is wha you actually would call it but that's exactly what is looks like, lik a strut off a car. It is attached at the bottom to the bar and at th top to a solid mounting point. So, it looks to me like when you step o the pedal that rod in the back moves up and down, going in and out o the roof of the cabinet, and the shock absorber is there for the retur to bring the pedal up. Hope you followed all of that. I have already determined that the shoc is no good, I disassembled this entire assembly to get the shock out an it doesn't move, it's seized. My questions before I go any deeper int fixing this would be:

  1. What does this thing do?

  1. Would it be of great benefit to fix it? (I have been using th machine for 6 months without it)

  2. Where can I buy parts? (I tried Grob and the machine is too old)

First off, this pedal is not for any type of blade speed adjust, I hav seen that before and this saw is not that type of saw, this one has ste pulleys for speed adjust. I was thinking maybe this is some type o brake to stop the blade when you shut the motor off? I am pretty sur that there may be pieces missing if that is the case, because I don' see any brake mechanism. Any help would be greatly appreciated

-- coolcamaro79

Reply to
coolcamaro79

[...]

Grant Erwin

Sounds like a variation on the "power" feed on old DoAll saws. The DoAlls have large cast iron weight on a bar that sticks out the back of the machine. A crank moves the weight along the bar to adjust feed pressure. A system of cable and pulleys attached to the back end of bar allows you to feed the work using various fixtures, clamps, and chains.

I'm guessing that your shock absorber is a combination spring and hydraulic check that takes the place of the weight. Is there any sort of adjuster on the shock?

The pictures of this saw on ebay show most of the external pieces of the DoAll cable feed. I own an identical saw built in the mid 1940s.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I had one of the Grob 18" at the last place I worked at. The foot pedal and the rest of it are part of the table feed system. I found a couple of pictures of the the later version of this from the HH Roberts site. They don't realy give you much and is for the the later models. On the older model there is a slider under the table that attaches to a plate that fits in the slot in the table. Ours had a flip out pawl that caught the slider and you pinned the work holders to. See the first url and look at part # 25 - 29 for the work holder parts. As for parts, you might try HH roberts but if Grob doesn't have them then you may have to improvise and make your own. The current model uses an air feed, maybe it can be retrofitted or you could rig your own. I never really used the feed on the one we had over the 13 years I worked with it, so it may be a moot point :-) I guess it will depend ont the type of work you are doing. I have used saws with the table feed and it does save a lot of wear and tear on the arms :-) It was just to much trouble to set up on the Grob to make it worth while for one off parts.

http://www.hhrobertsmach> This isn't actually a problem per se, though it may be and I just don't

Reply to
machineman