Halocarbon oil and test of reason

I have acquired 4 Sperry marine gyro compasses, which I am refreshing. Part of the task is thorough cleaning and the replacement of the suspension oil in the gyrosphere, as well as complete recalibration. According to Sperry, the suspention fluid is a blend of Halocarbon 6.3 oil

) and Dow Corning 200 silicone 1 centistoke fluid at a ratio of 6 to 1. So I asked for a quote for 10 liters of this Halocarbon 6.3 oil. I just received a quote of $72.10 per pound, which is sold in gallon containers weighing 16 lbs each. This equates to $288 per liter I think. My question to you all is should I be so shocked? Do you know why this is priced so high? Thanks in advance. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

It sounds about as pricy as synthetic vacuum pump oil. Small market, large R&D investment, the people that need it are willing to pay the price.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If this is the same as Krytox pump fluid used for oxygen service, do not be suprised. That stuff is *expensive*.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

We used to use similar in seal legs for d/p cells on orifice flow meters (I dislike orifice flow meters). It's very inert, very dense oil, which helped it stay put in seal legs. Ours was expensive back in the '70's.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

You might want to search for cashew oil (caju). I remember it being used for very close tolerance lubrication at NASA.

cheers T.Alan

)

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Hi Steve,

I've been thinking about your pricey predicament. Perhaps the best option at this point would be to take them to a shop that refurbishes these gyro professionally. They're probably the only one who purchase enough of this stuff in volume to make the price bearable. You may also consider sending them out of country; it might be cheaper to have them done in the US.

Regards, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver