Heavy Duty Drawer Slides

Would anyone out there know where to get them? I did a Google but haven't found what I'm looking for. They are for a wheelchair lift and the dealer price just seems too rich to me. I know the lift manufacture doesn't make them and they should be available somewhere. TIA

Reply to
rustyjames

I used to install this stuff, but I don't know pricing and haven't seen much of a second-hand market for parts or repairable broken equipment.

Personally I don't have business insurance and won't homebrew or repair any medical or handicapped hardware. The government will buy it for you if you really need it.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Acuride is a big manufacturer of drawer slides, have you checked their products?

you might try McMaster Carr for one stop shopping
have quite a range from much too small to much too expensive, with luck you will find something in between. I hope you don't need their bigge$t ones, though with a motorized wheelchair and passenger, I don't know. Has anyone really ever spent $1616 for a pair of drawer slides? sure, with a 49" extension and a 820lb capacity they are impressive, but $1616!

Reply to
Bob's my cat

Rusty, Check:

click "cabinet drawer slides click "drawer lides, KV heavy duty full extension click "500# class.....

from 14" @ $62 to 60" @ $290 DJ

Reply to
Mechanical Magic

Now you have my interest- what does a drawer slide have to do with a wheelchair lift?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

rustyjames

Cam followers are cheap and very useful for do-it-yourself linear motion.

Jim Wilkins

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:37:27 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm, rustyjames quickly quoth:

You don't state what make/model/size/year or any valid detail we could use to help you. Typical.

Here's a guess:

G'luck.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Might have look at these folks. I have always had good luck from them and A+ cutomer satisfaction. No affilitaion other than satisfied customer. They say not for human support but look at what they are designed for. Looks like you could double them if necessary. That what you are paying ........the statement it is intended for medical use and not for some other use. Good luck and you might tell customer service about your dilema and ask if they know of a vender in the line you are looking for. Lyndell

If the link does not work search for heavy duty slides.

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Lyndell

Thank You All-

I found a set at a dealer at a reasonable price. I guess they wanted to blow out their stock because that lift is no longer made.

Reply to
rustyjames

Accurides are good, I get them at Rockler.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

One problem - if you tell them that the slides are for use in building a wheelchair lift, they will not sell them to you - the much higher added injury and liability insurance costs for components used in a personnel lifting device and/or medical device aren't factored into "drawer slides". And if you read the fine print on the instructions there's more than likely words to that effect.

If you don't tell, you accept all the liability. For a one-off lift you build to solve a mobility problem for a family member, this is not a problem. If you plan to produce these lifts for resale, it can be a huge problem. You'll have 100 units pre-sold at a pre-set price, and your supplier either cuts you off cold or the price of a key component suddenly triples...

For resale, contact the manufacturer and work it all out first. Example: You can buy all sorts of cable winches and overhead powered hoists and trolleys, including inexpensive import units at Harbor Freight - and they all say "Not for overhead lifting over people, or for lifting people." If they know you are building an elevator with their hoist (and they have any brains at all) they won't sell.

If you want a unit that is rated and sold to lift people or over people, the only place I know of to get one in the USA is from CM Hoist (Columbus McKinnon), and you pay a lot more. And more for the "Overhead Lifting" rated alloy chain and rigging gear.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman