High Gas Prices

I don't understand how Obama voters can be so totally mesmerized by slogans.

Especially when the three years of office have done just the opposite of the slogans.

Isn't it time for real change?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They still dream of a world that owes them a living.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ah, yes. Big rock candy mountain.

.

They still dream of a world that owes them a living.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Shhh! They might make us use it year-round.

It's already the Liberal Literati's goal to drive fuel prices so high we give up cars and take the bus everywhere - conveniently ignoring us poor schlubs who have to drive a big heavy truck full of tools and parts around to make a living.

I was thrilled to hear about more CNG/Gasoline Dual-Fuel trucks for sale next year - then I heard it's going to be a $7,500 premium, Diesel is only $4,000. And only 1/2 and 3/4 Ton sizes.

And then some Bright Boy will restrict the owners from using the Home Refueling compressors ("PHILL") by saying "we can't control the quality of the gas, so it will void your warranty..." which will totally destroy the utility of the CNG - making you go to an out-of-the-way refueling site and pay more for someone else to compress it for you.

Doubles the price - it's like $1.50 a GGE if you do it yourself, $2.50 to $3 at the fill stations. And you have to go there to fill up - you don't just disconnect the hose, hop in the truck and go to work.

Oh, and I didn't see anything about Cab-Chassis conversions, they want to put the gas tanks in the bed.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Why not a gas/LPG setup? Gets you away from the high pressure CNG tanks and associated apparatus. Conversion kits readily available, quick change over from LPG to gasoline, or back. Been in use for years and years.

Reply to
John B.

Fuck you. ;>)

relax, its back up to 365. That comes out to an increase of 15 cents a gallon. I get slightly under 30 miles per gallon. So NOW i have to pay another one half of a penny a mile! I wont stand for it! lol

Seriously, as insignificant as it seems, its steadily going up faster than inflation. And you guys aren't exacly helping with your screwed up liberal broke ass state. With your 5 bucks on the news, its making us accept 4 bux everywhere else, because at least its not as bad as california's 5 bux.

The system is so complicated it has unforeseen consequences.

Gas prices go up unnaturally. Gas isn't twice as expensive to collect and ship as it was 12-13 years ago. So...this gives obama some elbow room to crunch gas milage standards. He says he's doing it to combat high gas prices, but its really because he believes in global warming. AND thats ok. Both are good reasons to pass restriction laws and regulation. Here's just a few problems... In order to get another 10 miles per gallon, they have to drop 400 pounds off the weight of the car, excluding the engine. So what material do they switch to as opposed to heavy steel...plastic, a very big green house contributor, WAY more than gasoline could ever dream of. So it creates more polluting plastic as opposed to recyclable steel. It creates more of a demand for oil, lowering supply and raising prices. Safety factor... Lighter cars = more deaths on the road. More hospital stays, higher insurance premiums for all. Lighter softer cars = more cars "total'ed" in accidents, raising auto insurance premiums.

Obama has said out of his own mouth higher gas prices is good for America. It will force us to come up with alternatives. Well, its not that easy. Every damn time the government meddles it gets worse... why? Because of unforeseen consequences! Ok....say gas prices sore to 6 bux and stay there. gasoline becomes a much larger part of our personal budgets. So...people arent going to run out and get a new technology, THEY will stop being so mobile. People will not drive 40 miles to work anymore like in the 60's and 70's. What that means is MORE UNEMPLOYMENT! People living where there are no jobs.

If I lose my job I will look in a 40 mile radius. Now double the gas prices and i will look for a job in a 20 mile radius and have a better chance at being unemployed living off the system as opposed to feeding it.

It's a mess O lies and confusion.

Reply to
vinny

Propane prices are tied to gasoline and diesel prices to a point - If they can't refine gasoline they can't separate out the Propane and Butane fractions either.

And it's a much larger problem to fuel at home with Propane, and no economic advantage - Natural Gas I get via a convenient pipeline going right to the house, and as much as I need.

I suppose it would be better if I lived outside a large city and had the Propane on site anyway, and used enough to make the delivery fees worth it - but if I try it here, I have to apply for special permits and approvals, and grease a lot of palms with inspection fees and annual licenses...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

That isn't wholly correct. Certainly there is a certain amount of propane and butane that boil out of crude when it is processed but to a large extent both propane and butane is a byproduct of treating gas streams. If you are selling "lean gas", i.e., ethane and methane you need to strip everything heavier out or you will raise havoc with your customer's operations.

I don't know about the U.S. market but the E. Asian market is largely driven by supply and demand for LPG.

I suppose that you will need to compress it as I believe that vehicle mounted CNG tanks are in the 3,000 psi range and I believe that residential distribution systems are working in the inches of water ranges, although I've never been in that side of the business.

Here we have LPG filling stations pretty well all over the country and a large number of LPG burning automobiles. For all practical purposes you can say that all taxi's are now running LPG . In fact I'm not sure that CNG systems for gasoline engines are even sold here as the LPG systems are so popular.

As an aside, the first LPG burning automobiles I saw belonged to a taxi company in Tachakawa, Japan in about 1955 :-)

Reply to
John B.

I just filled up my propane tank for my BBQ. It cost $7.56 for 4.7 gallons. That's a nice bit lower than gasoline, thankfully.

What gets me is the price of solvents. Alcohol, acetone, paint thinner, and lacquer thinner are all $11-15 a freakin' gallon!

Really? I've been away from the propane scene for 10-3/4 years now but there was never a delivery fee. They just came and topped it off a few times a year, billing me only for gas used.

The permit thing is new, too. I understand that they're burying them now for some reason, so maybe that's part of it. Excavation permits, graft, other graft, etc.

Natural gas is quite a bit cheaper and I'm happier with it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What gunner and the other guys who want to use home natural gas are trying to do is to cheat the public by not paying the road use taxes that come with using commercially supplied fuel - you see, the conservatives figured out that the guys who use the road more should pay more, so they did this with gas tax (more gas = more use, so pay more) - makes sense until one of these nut jobs decides that it's time to cheat and make everybody else pay for them and to again get a free ride. Now, if they actually paid the tax, using your own gas would be fine, but does anybody want to bet that these guys won't pay the tax if they can get away with it?

Reply to
a friend

A very good point.

I left Costa Mesa California today at 11:15. I drove 67 miles north, without leaving the "City" It is one large mass of buildings.. It wasnt until I hit Castaic at the foot of the Tejon Pass...that the "city" stopped.

I reached home at 4:35.

167 miles through the heart of the LA basin (which I do twice each week)

England is about 398.65 miles from top to bottom.

Great Britian is about 750 miles, top to bottom..that includes England, Scotland, Wales etc.

California..is just a smideon over 800 miles, top to bottom. One state. With 2 more above it to the north.

It always amuses me, when I encounter Europeans doing a driving tour of the US. They are simply stunned that they can drive for 3 days..and still never leave one of the western states, such as Texas or California.

And thats not stopping to visit the sceanery either.

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

That is part of the attraction of plug in electric cars.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Buy locally.

Ed Huesers

Ed Huesers

Why the hell not get a tax break on it?

The owner of that electric or CNG car just spent a *lot* of money to be able to use the alternate fuel and to cut their emissions way down. At a minimum, $10,000 /per vehicle/ between the vehicle's gas tanks controls and operating gear, and the refueling equipment at its home base. Or for electrics and hybrids, at least the same in batteries controls and chargers.

For that large an up-front investment, there needs to be a long-term payback, or nobody will do it.

Now I could see them tracking the electricity and NG usage (separate metering) and charging the Road Taxes at a reasonable and equivalent rate if the overall price benefits are still there - but government has NEVER been known to stop at a 'reasonable' rate when they smell money for the taking - the citizens often have to stop them.

If they take their usual path and tax it heavier than gasoline "because they can, the base price is lower and is an unfair advantage" to try and make an income stream, they kill the Golden Goose.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

the point is that gunner and those who do this illegally are stealing from the rest of us - he, specifically, rants against all sorts of things, and then goes to do it himself. If there was legal acceptance, as there is for electric cars, then I would be totally fine with it, however, there is no such thing.

Reply to
a friend

Gunner on Fri, 12 Oct 2012 23:02:44 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Seattle to Taft - give or take, 1000 miles, 18 hours on the road. That is eighteen hours of your butt in the seat, driving, none stop. And assumes you drive 65 all the way no stops If you want to "eat here and get gas" it takes longer. And same if you want to pull over and sleep. (Sleeping while driving is not recommended.) For comparisons sake. Munich to Istanbul is 1000 miles as the crow flies. If the crow has to drive, it is 1200 miles - and 21 hours.

Now, back in 1950, my Dad "regularly" drove from San Francisco (where he was in Seminary) to Corvallis (where his girlfriend went to college) - it is 10 hours by interstate. How long it was on old Hwy

99 I dunno. ... add a couple hours. Ah, but he was young and in love.

Ah, reminds me of Steve 'awkin's story. He was back in England, in a pub, with his motorcycle outside. Bloke comes up, and eventually challenges him to a road-race. "Fine" says Hawkins "Edinburgh and back". Wait what? The guy was evidentially thinking more in terms of up to the roundabout and back.

"Only God can make a tree. But Porsche lets you drive by at a hundred miles an hour." P. J. O'roake said something like that.

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Please let us know the laws that are being broken. Are they state or federal laws?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

An aquaintance, the bride in an arringed marriage, on her arrival in Toronto (1956) from a mediteranean country, enquired of her future husband if they could drop her seat mate off on their way to London. The seat mate's destination? Vancouver.

Reply to
grmiller

What Gunner and the other guys do?

What other guys? And where in the world did you manage to get road use taxes from my post about California's special blending of fuel?

You are a Leftwinger of course, and off your meds once again..or rather...still off your meds.

I hope they hang you for a week, letting the crows peck out your eyes and then dump you in the bottom of a mass grave with a bunch of Klanners on top of you to keep your ass all warm and cuddled for eternity.

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

Does what illegally? Reports that California has a special blend of fuel for the summer time?