High speed spindles -- annoying bait-and-switch

I noticed some annoying bait-and-switch in the article <https://

friction/>.

The first paragraph talks about balls of silicon dioxide that rotate

300 billion times per second, which would be 1.8 trillion RPM. Imagine my dismay at finding out, a couple of paragraphs later, that the author had mixed up RPS and RPM; the particles actually are spinning at only 5 GHz (5 billion RPS), or 300 billion RPM.
Reply to
James Waldby

On 2/17/2020 9:23 PM, James Waldby wrote: > I noticed some annoying bait-and-switch in the article <https:// >

> friction/>. >

Dang-it... and I was fantasizing about swapping out the 24K Spindle on the machine I primarily use for engraving to a measly 60K spindle. Now my plan is all shot to heck. My brains is going 1.8 trillion miles a second dreaming about a 300 billion RPM spindle. 4 minute engraving jobs could be done in a .0001 seconds. Hmmm.... I guess I'd have to upgrade the lead screws and ways too.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You need an X-Ray Laser.

"When a target is hit by the pulse, it is simply obliterated into its atomic parts with temperatures reaching millions of Kelvin in as little as a trillionth of a second. Wow. And if this weren't cool enough, the laser causes electrons to be cast off from the inside out. They are not pushed out but repelled! This is because the lowest level of electron orbitals has two of them which are ejected courtesy of the energy the X-rays are supplying. The other orbitals become destabilized as they fall inward and then meet the same fate. The time it takes for an atom to lose all its electrons is on the order of a few femtoseconds. The resulting nucleus doesn't hang around for long though and decays fast into a plasmic state known as warm dense matter, which is mainly found in nuclear reactors and the cores of large planets."

In other words, we have created Star Trek's Phaser.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Since light travels only 186,000 miles a second, your brains is at Warped Factor 7.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I sure wouldn't want to be around the day that little mill bit gave up the fight against centripetal force. Perhaps it would vaporize at that speed, though. Much safer than grenading @3BRPM.

Reply to