the Hatch-Kohl bait and switch

consider this analysis of the propellant exemptions in the Hatch-Kohl substitute bill
the propellant exemptions:
-- "... or model rocket motors containing no more than .9 pounds of
ammonium perchlorate composite propellant ..."
"... for purposes of powering recreational model rockets may possess and store quantities not to exceed 25 pounds of such propellants."
--

the definitions in NFPA 1122, 2002 Ed. (excerpted for editorial review):

--
3.3.6* Model Rocket. A rocket that (1) weighs no more than 1500 g (53

Why?
What would be the purpose in wasting further time on this issue?
Joel. phx
<the big snip>

To encourage NAR/KYTE/TRA to drop the bill hard.

Joel Corwith wrote:

it needs to be clear exactly how bad it is: it is license for the BATFE to regress rocketry two decades
study it carefully, and understand what it changes
the BATFE are die-hards, and some TRA/NAR leaders myopic, unscrupulous, and self-serving
I suspect that we have seen neither the last of Hatch-Kohl's provisions, nor TRA/NAR's mischief
what should be said about their complicity in such a scheme (again)?
- iz
Izzy, you asked:
What should be said about their complicity in such a scheme (again)?
By "their", I assume you mean TRA/NAR. If so, why would TRA/NAR be complicit in potentially whittling away their respective memberships?
Welcome to Izland.

Gene wrote:

by this do you mean why they would participate in a scheme that would have such an effect as you describe?
or why would doing so constitute 'complicity'?
there are longstanding relationships present, relationships molded by the nature of their dance over nearly two decades
perhaps two congenial puppetmasters working the strings of their adversarial characters, while negotiating consensus on what the drama should entail, and how it should unfold
I don't believe that the true nature of their relationship is apparent
but I believe its effect is that of a conspiracy against us
and no news is good news
- iz
Joel Corwith wrote:

The "bait" is the post itself. Iz wants to keep rmr focused on his anti-org threads and agenda.
--
Gary Bolles
NAR 82636

Was Gary's purchase of AT assets anti-AT?
If policies are changed at TRA, even involuntarily, it is nothing but a good thing.
Gary wrote:

that is an oversimplification, and not entirely accurate
but I appreciate your trying to keep me honest ;)
- iz

There's nothing wrong with everyone having their say pro or con, but hopefully no one here decides to join, or not to join any group, rocketry or other, based solely on a single person's experiences or opinions, mine included. Knee jerk reactions and conclusions usually come back to haunt.
Few things or subjects, are ever absolutes. Get the facts, all the facts, no matter what or who it's about, then make your OWN informed decision.
Randy
Randy wrote:

well said
- iz