high temp thread lubrication?

Graphite melts at 3675 C according to:

Wonder if drawing on the threads with a carpenter's pencil would work?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Try wrapping them with plumbers teflon tape. I have used it to prevent seizing of stailess steel nuts on stainless steel bolts.

The temperatures weren that high though, but it was in live steem heat exchangers.

Reply to
Grumpy

Not likely. For one, a pencil "lead" isn't pure graphite, for another, graphite oxidizes at much lower temperatures, especially finely pulverized graphite. I used it in a glass kiln, mixed with other stuff to keep glass from sticking to the mold. The graphite portion would be gone after a single use to say, 1200F or so.

Reply to
Steve Ackman