Hillbilly Engineering

wrote:

HiTack cleans up with ethanol. - not real well, but the stuff is definitely not alcohol resistant.
Calling today's regular grade motor fuel "gasoline" should be a punishable offense - - - -

Huh. I would have thought the Permatex engineers would have been able to tell me that, should have been aware if 10% ethanol would defeat their product. Never had ethanol on hand to test it.
Thanks.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

writes:

I've asked tech support personnel many chemical questions they can't answer, such as the organic acid resistance (tomato juice) of Omega's stainless and Inconel thermocouple probes. I special-ordered an Inconel probe to monitor stew simmering on the wood stove but didn't find a good answer to which was better on the Net.
Ether starting fluid, methanol and isopropyl dry gas, acetone (nail polish remover) and lacquer thinner have similar solvent properties. Mouthwash, 70% rubbing alcohol and vodka may contain too much water. 91% isopropyl alcohol is a pretty good cleaning solvent that's relatively harmless unless you drink it.
On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 08:53:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I once tested coupons of D2, 316L, a 400 series, and inconel in molten adipic acid overnight. The D2 filled the jar up with rusty precipitate, the stainless steels all showed precipitate and major attack. The only one to make it was the inconel.
I ordered, installed, and ran a very expensive 40mm W&P twin screw extruder on the basis of that test. One combi feed barrel was $40K alone. Mid 1990's.
writes:

Thanks, that's a good data point. I forgot to mention the citric acid from the meat marinade.
On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 8:53:25 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

190 proof Everclear is 95% ethanol.
On 23 Sep 2019 03:15:55 -0300, Mike Spencer

Use PermaShield for fuel component gaskrets - also a Permatex product. It specifies it is resistant to ethanol.
Hi Tack does not
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 20:45:03 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I gooped on some of the $1.50 HF epoxy onto the long cracks in a Mantis tiller gas tank my sister gave to me. The first time didn't cover enough so I cleaned it and added more. 2 years and holding!
I had a roll of that modeling clay gas tank epoxy which had hardened up on me after only 30 or so years in my junk drawer. They don't make things like they used to.
--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is

are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.

My knees and back stiffened up after 30 or so minutes scrubbing the kitchen floor today. They don't make me like they used to.
Actually those are injuries from high school sports that never fully went away. They make me feel like a teenager again -- sore in all the same places.
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 16:32:00 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Ditto here. I distributed a load of chips on the front "lawn" this last week and I still feel it in my shoulders and lower back, like I'd rowed from England to France or sumpin.

LOL. I'm glad most of my old injuries don't bother me.
--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is

are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 12:32:46 -0700, Larry Jaques

It'll likely take me a while to "recover" from 3 weeks of holiday/travel. Not used to walking 8Km a day on cobblestone streets, and sitting in airplanes for 9 hours at a time. Using the cane made my hands hurt - not using the cane made my back/hips hurt. At least using the cane shortened a lot of lines - - - -

And if you're smart, you can use one which is tactical, too, JIC. Where are there cobblestone streets, London?
--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 20:10:31 -0700, Larry Jaques

Rome. Florence, Athens,Kotokolan,Rhodes,Fira, Oia, Mykanos, Heraklion, Olympia, Ephasus - all places on my itinerary on this last trip.

I think a dual sport bike would have been the preferred method of travel there. There are =so= many hills in Italy and Greece! Did the "migration" hinder your EU vacation at all?
--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 12:27:07 -0800, Larry Jaques

Not at all. I saw areas of Athens and Naples where I definitely would not walk at night - and would be VERY careful in daylight - but the same can besaid for Toronto, Vancouver, San Francisco, or many other large North American cities. I see a lot more black and brown faces here at home in Waterloo Ontario than I saw ANYWHERE in itally or Greece - or even in Tuirkey (discounting "mediteranean" brown (or Olive)
On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 18:27:28 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Which is "them", cheap or H&S? I seldom used my old electric Remington 14", but it lasted at least 25 years, before the plastic lugs which held the bar straight sheared off. The new one has a dozen years on it now, I guess. I took down several small trees at my sister's house last summer. Those things are built tough.
--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is

are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.

A pawn shop owner gave me a Remington that had been outside his shop under the snowbank all winter, abandoned there after he wouldn't pay what the previous owner demanded for it. It still ran and passed 500V hipot testing and the rusted chain and bar could be freed, though I replaced them. I did consider putting a handle and on/off switch on the top but the case doesn't seem strong enough.

I wanted a light-weight arborist (top handle, one-hand) saw to cut fallen branches and slabs on sawbucks while bracing and feeding the long sticks with the other hand. That saw is light enough to hold out to the side where it won't hit me if it kicks back. The sawbuck X frame provides a guard between my other hand and the saw.
The sawmill gave me half a cord of thin sticks left from cutting 2x4s from the outer slabs. My other saws, including a Remington electric, tend to grab a thin stick between the teeth and whip it back. This one also does to a lesser extent but its manageable when I'm holding the wood down with my free hand.
I tried a foot pedal and strap to clamp the wood to the sawbuck but it leaves me balanced mostly on one foot while running the chainsaw.

I have a book titled "Hand Tools" by Aldren Watson, 1982. Covers very many including squares, chisels, hammers, many types of planes, and how to maintain, sharpen, and use them. I learned a lot from it I didn't learn on the farm / cropdusting service.
Pete Keillor
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 06:21:38 -0500
<snip>

Thanks Pete :)
I have several similar books, had to take a quick look to see if I already have it. Don't think I do but it was still pretty dark where I was looking. Made a note of it to investigate farther when I get the chance...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI