History of Machine Tools

I placed a "flashing neon exit sign" in the very first post.
That was the first clue...How difficult would it have been to retract the claim or even allow it was copy / pasted in error.???
You made the decision to check out whats behind door # 2 entirely on your own......
--
SVL

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 00:09:34 -0800, "\"PrecisionMachinisT\""

How bout you two turkeys take this crap and go far away, please. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Maybe you misunderstood.
The sheet metal department does the sheat metal work for the weldments. Lots of Inconel rings welded to whatever.
If you want the companies name you can e-mail me and I will give you the person to talk with who is head of the manual department and he will backup what I'm saying. Anyone who knows the Phoenix job shop market should have no trouble figuring out what shop I mean, either.
jon

Hmm free clue ???
Sheet metal maybe ???

Remember, no email jon.

Be careful....... ( A clue for Gary )
I got twenty bucks says he already knows where you work.
Bet he even has photographs.
--
SVL

You get that hook out of your mouth yet, "Steve" ?
LOL
jon

Nope.
I still wanna know how this is "common"---- youve only given one (perhaps) plausible instance.
--
SVL

Clues, clues.
Everywhere you look there are clues.
That games not so fun when the game is played on "Steve" or Sam.
LOL
It's just a Cheap Trick !
www.cheaptrickcom
jon

(perhaps)
Okay jon........cheap trick......I called you on a claim, you havent given a plausible answer, so you played a "cheap trick" on me........
Fair enough........<shrug>
--
SVL

"I want an 1/8 of whatever this bloke is smoking." (copy rite cigi)

You mean you got played like a cheap trick. Payback is a bitch there, "Stevie" / Sammy. ;>)
Now:
Might as well play your own cheap trick. ;>)
I highly recommend :
Gonna Raise Hell and Stiff Competition
http://www.trickworld.com/audio.htm
jon

given
Thanks anyway.
Bought a record once.......never cared for it much.
Might still have it, probly still in pristine condition, lemme know if your interested-- I might let it go real cheap.
--
SVL

"Sure, hit me with the example :)"

See this link. They are one of the oldest job shops in Phoenix.
http://dvelco.northstar-aerospace.com /
Check out the sheetmetal weldments. Lots of holes that are are done on compound angles.
Also see the links page. Maybe Northstar Aerospace has an division in your area ?
Weldments are very challenging to do.
jon

Still, that is just one shop, or perhaps a conglomerate of shops owned by the same company. It might be one of the oldest shops in Phoenix, but I havent seen the need to research that aspect as it wasnt a part of your original claim.
And you have expanded the discussion to now include formed and welded sheet metal assemblies, hardly your garden variety "sheet metal fabrication" shop-- rather specialized as a matter of fact.
I will grant you there might be "many" shops doing this.

Likely most are welded and then finish milled and drilled on multi axis cnc tools.
I would speculate however, often the tapping ops might be done as second op, though on a tapping center rather than knee mills. Looks like some of the parts might be automotive, but hard to tell as the pic is kinda small.

The links bar dissapeared on me......the webmaster apparently needs to do some html coding as the bar loads only partly visible.
If you move the separator the wrong way with the mouse and then let go of the mouse button, it dissapears altogether.
Then again, maybe there is something wrong with my monitor settings.......

Yeah, we built quite a few cnc welders at Certified....ran on thompson ways and has 9 axis controls. We could (and did for the military mobile launch vehicles) weld truck trailers with them. 12 ft cnc rotary tables...not bad for a jobshop in the early eighties. Tera cnc controls, an allen bradley knock off IIRC.......
Then we put air powered drilling heads on the cnc and drilled fastener holes ect.
--
SVL

"Still, that is just one shop, or perhaps a conglomerate of shops owned by the same company. It might be one of the oldest shops in Phoenix, but I havent seen the need to research that aspect as it wasnt a part of your original claim."
Instead of playing your games all you had to do was come out and say it. Or... tell her you don't agree with me because you don't think this type of work is important to know how to do. I obviously think it is.
Disagree with me.... no big deal. Play your games.... sorry I have had enough. You have got plenty of others in this newsgroup that enjoy fishing expeditions. I don't and I fail to see why I have waste my time with it if it repulses me.
"And you have expanded the discussion to now include formed and welded sheet metal assemblies, hardly your garden variety "sheet metal fabrication" shop-- rather specialized as a matter of fact."
Fuck you. I came back and made a sincere attempt to be clearer on the sheet metal issue by adding weldments. That shop happens to call it sheet metal. There is no standard. I'm sure it's different in other parts of the country and other shops as well. You could have politely asked for specific clarification. You were not specific in your request and even so I did my best to make it clearer.
"Likely most are welded and then finish milled and drilled on multi axis cnc tools."
Not from what I have seen. Use Google to see what Michael Gailey's has had to say on 5 axis machines and how common they are in his area. Boeing can afford lots to stuff that small machining job shops can't.
"The links bar dissapeared on me......the webmaster apparently needs to do some html coding as the bar loads only partly visible."
I had no problem.
jon

sheet
cnc
op,
ways
holes

Good to see you havent lost your touch, jon.
Cheers,
--
SVL

jon banquer wrote:

I'm not sure how many questions I could/should answer about my instructors. I try not to say too much about people on the internet without their knowledge. Things like that tend to come back and bite me in the ass.

Makes sense.

For the following - bear in mind here that I'm talking from the very limited knowledge I've picked up so far. I'm in no way trying to look like a know-it-all, and I don't know exactly why that boring head was chosen as one of our projects. While I understand where you're coming from, the skills we got for that project were: using dovetail cutters, milling a through slot, drilling and reaming on the mill, tapping holes, making a gib to fit. That we got a tool to use out of it was a fringe benefit, but not the main purpose. I don't believe our skill level is up to making something of the same quality and design as the commercial boring heads. And in the "real world", hopefully we wouldn't be expected to have a commercial-quality boring head in our tool box. Now, having said that, is there a type of boring head somewhere in between the commercial type ones I've seen around the shop and the ones that we made? If there is one that would be within our skill levels, but with a quicker setup time, maybe it would have been more practical to use that design instead of the one that we did use, and I could bring it up with the instructors.

Nope, not too much yet. :)

I don't think many of the people in our course see the value of our communications course. But like I mentioned, our curriculum isn't developed randomly. The college meets with representatives from industry and finds out what skills they would like potential employees to possess. Our curriculum is developed based on that.

Pass the details along anytime. I can put them in the binder with my other projects, even if I'm not ready to make it right away.
:) chem
--

www.xanga.com/chemgurl

I no longer see it as productive to answer any questions that you may have in this newsgroup. If others can't be of help and / or you wish my opinion you may feel free to e- mail me. If this is not a viable alternative to you than I hope I have been helpful to you in someway.
jon

Well, thanks for the help. I guess I said something to offend you or something, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it was.
chem
jon banquer wrote:

--

www.xanga.com/chemgurl

"Well, thanks for the help. I guess I said something to offend you or something, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it was."
Sorry I missed this.
You did nothing to offend me and I would have hoped I made this clear when I said in my previous post to you :
"or you wish my opinion you may feel free to e-mail me."
I don't see it as productive to put the time into answering and really thinking about what I believe needs to be said to you, based on the current environment (which you have correctly noted exists) in this newsgroup.
jon

Oh, find a moderated group then for Keyrists sake.
BTW, machines.homeip.net on iRC is moderated. Muwahahaha.
How did you like it when you logged in the other day? You didnt stay long.
Bing

As far as it goes, I wouldn't disagree. But studying the background and history of one's field is one mark of a professional, in the old sense of the word. I'd like to think that people getting into the field as a career, rather than just as a job, would be interested in how their industry got where it is today.
If the students aren't curious about it, then there isn't much point in forcing it upon them. But I believe quite a few would be interested.
I used to lecture on dimensional metrology, often to young people who were new to the field, and I remember a lot of questions about the background of the technology. They seemed interested in the way things were done in "the old days," mostly because they were amazed at how one could measure to such extreme accuracies without the benefits of electronic technology.
--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)