History of Machine Tools

Nope.

I still wanna know how this is "common"---- youve only given one (perhaps) plausible instance.

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

More clues. Everywhere you look are clues.

You have worked for how many small machining job shops ???

Life is very different outside of Boeing.... both good and bad.

Want me to take the hook out ? I believe in catch and release. ;>)

Better yet, I believe the games you so love to play are....

Stupid ! :>)

Gotta go...

I'm bored and as I said before...tomorrow night is the local union meeting:

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Okay jon........cheap trick......I called you on a claim, you havent given a plausible answer, so you played a "cheap trick" on me........

Fair enough........

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

You mean you got played like a cheap trick. Payback is a bitch there, "Stevie" / Sammy. ;>)

Now:

Might as well play your own cheap trick. ;>)

I highly recommend :

Gonna Raise Hell and Stiff Competition

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

"Sure, hit me with the example :)"

See this link. They are one of the oldest job shops in Phoenix.

Check out the sheetmetal weldments. Lots of holes that are are done on compound angles.

Also see the links page. Maybe Northstar Aerospace has an division in your area ?

Weldments are very challenging to do.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

But still, YOU *ARE* clueless......

Actually quite a few, see I get contracts from them as well as give them contracts.....

No contest.......Im glad you've (apparently) finally come to realize large shops have their merits also.

Someday, one might even risk hiring you......Nice, cushey union job.......

I aint quite hooked yet----I took but a nibble at a specific lil tidbit, and I dont believe for a moment you put it out as bait.

Then why do you insist on playing ???

Me too, else admittedly, I wouldnt bothering with the likes of you.........

"PrecisionMachinisT"

Thanks anyway.

Bought a record once.......never cared for it much.

Might still have it, probly still in pristine condition, lemme know if your interested-- I might let it go real cheap.

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

"Someday, one might even risk hiring you...... Nice, cushey union job......."

Clues, clues, clues....

I worked for one in Connecticut. Have said so many, many times over the years in this newsgroup. No union needed.

"But still, YOU *ARE* clueless......"

I'm done playing your stupid games. It's renegotiation time. I'm not willing to play these stupid games anymore and if you are not willing to agree to end them with me then I'm ready to start ignoring all your posts. That give you an idea how serious I am about ending this crap you love to indulge in between you and I ? Is it now clear enough to you how much I detest your bullshit fishing games ?

"No contest.......Im glad you've (apparently) finally come to realize large shops have their merits also."

Always did. See above.

"I aint quite hooked yet----I took but a nibble at a specific lil tidbit, and I dont believe for a moment you put it out as bait."

I don't care what you believe. The games you like to try and play with me are over. Your going to have a much tougher time playing them with me if I ignore your posts.

BTW, is it "steve" or Sam I'm now talking to ??? What a joke.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Still, that is just one shop, or perhaps a conglomerate of shops owned by the same company. It might be one of the oldest shops in Phoenix, but I havent seen the need to research that aspect as it wasnt a part of your original claim.

And you have expanded the discussion to now include formed and welded sheet metal assemblies, hardly your garden variety "sheet metal fabrication" shop-- rather specialized as a matter of fact.

I will grant you there might be "many" shops doing this.

Likely most are welded and then finish milled and drilled on multi axis cnc tools.

I would speculate however, often the tapping ops might be done as second op, though on a tapping center rather than knee mills. Looks like some of the parts might be automotive, but hard to tell as the pic is kinda small.

The links bar dissapeared on me......the webmaster apparently needs to do some html coding as the bar loads only partly visible.

If you move the separator the wrong way with the mouse and then let go of the mouse button, it dissapears altogether.

Then again, maybe there is something wrong with my monitor settings.......

Yeah, we built quite a few cnc welders at Certified....ran on thompson ways and has 9 axis controls. We could (and did for the military mobile launch vehicles) weld truck trailers with them. 12 ft cnc rotary tables...not bad for a jobshop in the early eighties. Tera cnc controls, an allen bradley knock off IIRC.......

Then we put air powered drilling heads on the cnc and drilled fastener holes ect.

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

"Still, that is just one shop, or perhaps a conglomerate of shops owned by the same company. It might be one of the oldest shops in Phoenix, but I havent seen the need to research that aspect as it wasnt a part of your original claim."

Instead of playing your games all you had to do was come out and say it. Or... tell her you don't agree with me because you don't think this type of work is important to know how to do. I obviously think it is.

Disagree with me.... no big deal. Play your games.... sorry I have had enough. You have got plenty of others in this newsgroup that enjoy fishing expeditions. I don't and I fail to see why I have waste my time with it if it repulses me.

"And you have expanded the discussion to now include formed and welded sheet metal assemblies, hardly your garden variety "sheet metal fabrication" shop-- rather specialized as a matter of fact."

Fuck you. I came back and made a sincere attempt to be clearer on the sheet metal issue by adding weldments. That shop happens to call it sheet metal. There is no standard. I'm sure it's different in other parts of the country and other shops as well. You could have politely asked for specific clarification. You were not specific in your request and even so I did my best to make it clearer.

"Likely most are welded and then finish milled and drilled on multi axis cnc tools."

Not from what I have seen. Use Google to see what Michael Gailey's has had to say on 5 axis machines and how common they are in his area. Boeing can afford lots to stuff that small machining job shops can't.

"The links bar dissapeared on me......the webmaster apparently needs to do some html coding as the bar loads only partly visible."

I had no problem.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Gee wiz jon, settle down.......Im just pullin yer chain a bit....

You done pulled many peoples chains in the past, including mine....

What is wrong with me yanking your crank every once inna while ???

Dont it feel so good???

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

Good to see you havent lost your touch, jon.

Cheers,

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

"Gee wiz jon, settle down.......Im just pullin yer chain a bit...."

I didn't say you could not call me broom boy or clueless or buzzword king or any of the other moronic names. At least Bruce Closs got it right when he labeled me jadded jon. He was right and it fit. Whatever. What I have had enough of is the fishing expedition approach. If you disagree with me just say it ... the fishing expedition shit wastes too much of my time. I'm not retired. I work for someone else and I don't make my own schedule. You have plenty of others in this newsgroup that you can engage with this type of behavior.

Why is it asking so much of you to modify your approach with me and to end the trolling crap ?

I have had to modify my presentation for others who have requested it of me. Well.... surprise, I'm requesting it of you. Even without threatening to ignore your posts, which should be obvious to you that I really don't want to do, I think I have the right to request this and get it.

"Dont it feel so good???"

It has proven to be a major time waster for me. Why would it be so difficult to agree, disagree or ask for *specific clarification* ???

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

I placed a "flashing neon exit sign" in the very first post.

That was the first clue...How difficult would it have been to retract the claim or even allow it was copy / pasted in error.???

You made the decision to check out whats behind door # 2 entirely on your own......

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

I'm not sure how many questions I could/should answer about my instructors. I try not to say too much about people on the internet without their knowledge. Things like that tend to come back and bite me in the ass.

Makes sense.

For the following - bear in mind here that I'm talking from the very limited knowledge I've picked up so far. I'm in no way trying to look like a know-it-all, and I don't know exactly why that boring head was chosen as one of our projects. While I understand where you're coming from, the skills we got for that project were: using dovetail cutters, milling a through slot, drilling and reaming on the mill, tapping holes, making a gib to fit. That we got a tool to use out of it was a fringe benefit, but not the main purpose. I don't believe our skill level is up to making something of the same quality and design as the commercial boring heads. And in the "real world", hopefully we wouldn't be expected to have a commercial-quality boring head in our tool box. Now, having said that, is there a type of boring head somewhere in between the commercial type ones I've seen around the shop and the ones that we made? If there is one that would be within our skill levels, but with a quicker setup time, maybe it would have been more practical to use that design instead of the one that we did use, and I could bring it up with the instructors.

Nope, not too much yet. :)

I don't think many of the people in our course see the value of our communications course. But like I mentioned, our curriculum isn't developed randomly. The college meets with representatives from industry and finds out what skills they would like potential employees to possess. Our curriculum is developed based on that.

Pass the details along anytime. I can put them in the binder with my other projects, even if I'm not ready to make it right away.

:) chem

Reply to
chem

Cool, hadn't thought of adding clearance like that, for holes.

While we're on the subject of parallels - why are there holes through the middle of them like the ones below? (Not sure if all parallels have them, so I'm including this so you know what I'm talking about) Normally the holes would be bigger, but I can't make a circle bigger than that.

_______________________ | | | O O O O O | |_______________________|

chem

michael wrote:

that you will need

relief is away from

have not done this

aluminum ones

Reply to
chem

Different reasons. When I did die work we put bolts or pins thru the holes to keep the parallels standing upright so we could lay a die on them. You can also bolt them down to an angle plate to machine things on angles. I've also used them as steady rests for grinding or milling something long. Mount them with a shoulder bolt and a lock washer, adjust to maintain height to the end of the workpiece. You can also use them on the side of the mill vise for a stop. The list goes on.....

Bing

Reply to
Bing

How bout you two turkeys take this crap and go far away, please. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I no longer see it as productive to answer any questions that you may have in this newsgroup. If others can't be of help and / or you wish my opinion you may feel free to e- mail me. If this is not a viable alternative to you than I hope I have been helpful to you in someway.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Well, thanks for the help. I guess I said something to offend you or something, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it was.

chem

j> I no longer see it as productive to answer any questions

Reply to
chem