Home Brew Roll Bender

Here is a roll bender I just funished. It is for making curved rail components for a new deck. The material in the machine is 3/4 x 1-1/2 x 14 ga rectangular tube. Works great.

ed_h

Here is a roll bender I just funished. It is for making curved rail components for a new deck. The material in the machine is 3/4 x 1-1/2 x 14 ga rectangular tube. Works great.

ed_h

Nice.

Where do you get your tubing? Is it stainless?

The rollers, they are machined simply to closely fit the tubing?

I'm wondering if one couldn't make a simpler version using a lathe or milling machine to position the middle wheel?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

No, its CRS and I got it at a local Metal Supermarket. The rollers were machined to fit the tubing, but a relatively loose fit.

I saw something recently on one of the boards where someone used a large vertical mill for the center wheel, and mounted an assembly with the other two wheels on the table.

Reply to
ed_h

No, its CRS and I got it at a local Metal Supermarket. The rollers were machined to fit the tubing, but a relatively loose fit.

I saw something recently on one of the boards where someone used a large vertical mill for the center wheel, and mounted an assembly with the other two wheels on the table.

Reply to
ed_h

Nice!

How much 'grunt' do you need > Here is a roll bender I just funished. It is for making curved rail

Reply to
RoyJ

Very nice work, Ed. Don't be too upset if there's only a few comments-you're not a regular poster, it's on topic, and not much to gas bag about....

I scanned a few pages from the October 2005 issue of the "Journal of Light Construction" about a guy who makes custom steel beams. There's a few pages with pictures of equipment he made posted here:

Rick

I'm wondering if you keep the rollers lubed while rolling the stock?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
RoyJ

"RoyJ" wrote: The power rollers I've seen used for this application do not need lube on the material. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ As a matter of fact, you need friction to drive the material through. Adding lube would just make the drive roller slip.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

It's really not too bad. I don't even fasten the machine to the table. I make multiple passes, though, with maybe 1 turn of the top wheel (1/8 inch advance) per pass. I was afraid the drive wheel might slip, but it doesn't.

Reply to
ed_h

No--no lube, but the rollers are a loose fit. The drive roller (where the bending happens) has a deep profile--a little over half the depth of the stock. The sides of the profile are slightly tapered because I was concerned about the stock mushrooming on the inside radius and getting stuck.

Reply to
ed_h

Reply to
JR North

Looks good.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

ed_h wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I love the steering wheel. If I'd had one around, I probably would have used it.

Reply to
ed_h