Honda GW speedometer gear - could I make this?

Hi Folks,

Friend of mine has had the speedometer gear wear out on his '83 Goldwing GL1100 (IIRC). Apparently the gear is no longer available so I said I might be able to make one using my HF Micro-Mill and / or my 7x12 mini-lathe. Said this sight unseen (oops).

This is what it looks like:

I'm not sure I can do this after looking at it, especially without some expensive tooling I don't have (rotary table at least?) :-/.

Just thought I would ask the group to be sure I am right about having opening my mouth and taking a huge chunk of more than I can chew :-/. I can get by in the shop but have never attempted doing anything this involved (so it looks to me).

Probably wiser for him to find a bike graveyard and get it there, assuming he can?

Thanks!

Chris.

-- "I must array my ducks omni collinearly." --Jean Wilson

Reply to
Chris

It just so happens that I have just now dismantled a 1981 GL 1100 to (hopefully) use the engine on an ultra light aircraft and I just happen to have one of those. If your friend would rather purchase one than try to build one, have him e-mail me and we can work something out.

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Are you documenting your project and putting it on the web?

Wes

EAA member since 1987

Reply to
Wes

I can't tell what's wrong with it from the pix but, think repair or constructing a new one. And, there IS a bunch of them on a shelf...somewhere.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Can't enlarge the pictures. "Forbidden".

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Your pics show an unusual gear; while making one is certainly *possible*, you'd be pretty damm good at gears when you finished one that would work. Myself, I'd look for ready-made.

From what I remeber the Honda numbers had a semi-machine-specific part, three digits in the middle (?); and if you can get a look at the fiche for your machine you can probably figure it out. Look at the fiche for some other similar models and you might find that many of 'em used the same gear. Make a list and call your local bike scrapyards.

Reply to
_

Lots of wings in the scrapyards - part should be available used.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Fuhgeddaboudit - helical gear. If this was a 1920's museum piece where the spare parts flat out didn't exist, then you could take a shot at making one. But for a mass-production bike where you can find a replacement gear somewhere, it would take way too much effort and expense to make a new one from scratch.

If the Honda Parts Counter tells you it's discontinued do more searching - I hit this once. They have a part number in the books for that part on that bike, and then they translate that to a separate master part number on the shelf. If the books are wrong... ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Oops sorry, fixed. Too much going on around here today :-).

Reply to
Chris

Passed this message on, thanks! He is one of the good guys FWIW (my *long* time mentor :-).

Thanks and thanks to all who replied!

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Take a hacksaw and square off the rounded tangs, and it's good to go. It's only a speedo drive so a precise fit is not required.

Nearly any Honda bike from 82-84 will do for a parts donor, so a bike wrecker is the easiest and cheapest solution. . I have at least 6 GL-1000 units in the basement, but the GL-1100 is on the other side and uses a reverse drive set.

It would be impracticle to make a new one, but a challenging project. This guy makes all kinds of gears.

Stupendous Man