Horse power of motor

Since this thread is about dead I figure I can jump in here..

Obviously (maybe no so).. The 62 watts is the real "horspower" of this motor, and if I read the plate that's what I'd have figured...

Absent that as a rule of thumb If I'm checking/buying a motor with out much data or a missing plate I assume about 50% percent efficiency, (remember this is rule of thumb)... and so if I saw this motor draw the 1.7 amps (which would take full load too) and I did the math and came up with the (roughly 190 amp volts or watts, I say 95 watts of horse power)... then I'd round down to a 'nearest' fraction horsepower which would have probably been

1/8 and get pretty damn close for a guesstamate...and not too far off it real rated 62 watts.. or 1/12... In reality with out a full load I bet the current was much lower and I'd be much closer (maybe even under..) Oh and since half the time I'm doing this im my head at some scrap yard I use 750 W/Hp (like most of ya do..)

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

A reasonable supposition, but motors are usually rated in output power capability rather than heat dissipation capability. Rated power is usually measured at a given steady-state temperature rise above ambient, typically 40 deg C.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I used to fly a 2 meter cell battery sail plane. Used a high power 28 amp 8V cobalt magnets motor. It was geared down to add power and drop speed - I ran 9 and 12" props the worst scare is with Nylon with sharp edges and a speed controller takes a hit from a microwave source. Off might be on!

The motors I used were made on the central coast of CA. I want to say Santa Barbara, but I think north of there...

IF needed - I can find it - don't fly any more but have the motor!

Martin

Mart> DC motors used on RC airplanes and such are often rated in watts. I

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Minor correction. Your motor draws 2.1 amps at 115 volts. 2.1 x 115 x whatever the power factor is = maybe 100 watts. With the output at 62 watts, it might have an efficiency of about 60%. Not great, but it is a small motor.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Greetings Dan, I read about the power factor correction after my post. Even though I knew about power factor and how it affected real power used I was only thinking about 3 phase motors. After I read about the major effect on single phase machines I kinda slapped myself in the head for being so blind. Thanks for pointing it out to me again. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Damn. I'm sure I pointed that out six days ago. Before your post :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand