(!) How much does a gallon of Mineral Spirts cost?!!!

Was out at Kmart today..needed a gallon of mineral spirits to de-oil that mill Im rebuilding..and they want $15 for a freaking gallon!!!

Last time I bought a gallon a few years ago..it was $4.95 a Gallon! And that at Ace Hardware..the Expensive place

WTF?????

Has it really become that valuable????

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

While Christmas Window shopping at Sears recently I saw a *quart* can of "Premixed Lawn Mower Fuel" for $4.99.

Reply to
cavelamb

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Was that price for deodorized maybe? Mineral spirits/paint thinner is about $8 at one place I looked at today, a department store type place. That's in Canuck Loonies, close enough to Greenback $'s for this purpose.

Reply to
Charles U Farley

I bought a 120 oz. "Gallon" from Ace during the summer for $9.49. I also was replacing a $4.95 gallon that I bought a few years ago.

Steve

Reply to
Steven J Masta

All solvents went up when gas prices did and they never went back down. Acetone was about $5 a gallon, now it's $25. Even turpentine is very dear. For any of them you pay more for a quart than you used to for a gallon.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 09:41:30 GMT, the infamous Charles U Farley scrawled the following:

MS is $9 in Diamond Home Improvement, or $13 for the deodorized. It's Cruckin' Fazy!

-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
RoyJ

Some time back, perhaps 1998 or 1999, the Federal Government put a tax on Kero at the point where it is either packaged or sold in bulk. I suppose all the other solvents have a similar tax. Perhaps the states also took the opportunity to add their tax.

I quite using my salamander heater about that time. Price jumped 0.50 per gallon between December and January.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Kerosene today at HD was $10 a gallon. A "deal" for 5 gallons ........ $37. I guess that's why so many people are kicking their kerosene heaters to the curb.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

About two years ago, I saw someone mention that mineral spirits makes good fuel for oil lamps. I later found that some lamps, the fuel tank over heats, the fire goes nova, and produces an unsafe condition. In my tests.... Burns with a very white flame, and gives off a LOT of light when it burns. The fuel rapidly dries out, which is what painters want. Less desirable for an oil lamp. I won't say that it's safe, but you need to keep the liquid storage tank cool while the lamp is lit.

My gal was about $8.75, at the paint supply, they gave me the contractor price. At walmart last year, it was about $9 a gal, or $13 for the deodorized stuff.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or buying pink kerosene at the pumps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I bought a gallon of mineral spirits today at Ace..and it was $9.95 for a gallon. I cringed when I payed for it....with tax it was well into $10 and big change..California taxes

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

$10 a gallon at the local Ace...$50 for a 5 gallon can..I dont know what the local bulk plant sells it for. Last year it was $5.25 a gallon at the bulk plant.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Don't forget the "Volatile Organic Compounds" follies. They have to try and boutique refine these simple chemicals and solvents to get the vapor pressure and evaporation rates as low as possible.

The various Air Quality Management Districts are making life more difficult every day.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

We have the same idiocy over here in Blighty. Mineral spirits cost more than petrol/diesel. Which is odd, considering that the road fuel price is 75% tax. I've been looking at setting up a parts washer and concluded that it was as cheap to drive 100 miles each way to pick up a 55gallon drum of recycled solvent as it was to buy 10 gallons locally at retail :-|

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Anyone else remember when you could take your old can in and fill it up for $.19? Yes, ninteen cents...

Reply to
Bob Meyer

I think we have a winner!

I remember $.95/gallon for Varsol from the tap, but $.19 probably has me beat by a generation.

Reply to
Ed Huntress