How not to wire the pool area

I don't think that is correct, or even close for any points except those immediately adjacent to the wall.

for points immediately adjacent to the outlet contacts, it is clearly

200 or 220 or whatever it is being fed with. More important any way would be the current flow, which will depend on the resistance of all portions of all current paths. jk
Reply to
jk

That ignores the issue that the pool bottom itself is not grounded. In fact the entire pool is insulated by the polyethylene (or vinyl or whatever it is made of) from ground.

Now the instant the first idiot steps out and has a foot both in the pool and on the ground..... Well BEST case is, he ends up feeling like god it self, kicked him in the nuts.

Amen to that! jk

Reply to
jk

For example if the wall were made of copper, then the voltage between any two points ON THE WALL would be minuscule.

I thought it was implied.

MG

Reply to
MG

And it looks to me as though the power cord has been replaced with tubing through which water is being pumped into the strip to flow out of everywhere -- so it is not likely to be powered.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

But most swimming pools have the water chlorinated, which increases the conductivity.

But -- the earlier estimates of distribution of voltages in the pool assumes (among other things) a constant impedance of the water or anything else in it. Typically, the human body has a much lower resistance than the typical pool water, so the distribution would be more voltage across the water than across the human bodies, so instead of say 16V, it might be more like 3V for a standing person.

The little bird is perched on one side of the line. The air between the bird and the other side of the line is very high impedance, so there is no real problem for the bird there. In contrast, (assuming that the power strip is *really* connected to power) both sides of the line are in a somewhat conductive medium (the chlorinated pool water), so if you are in the wrong place you can get a lot more current than you want -- especially from a 230V line. Also -- with European power systems, that would be 230V on one side, and 0V (ground) on the other side, and the water is probably well grounded through the plumbing which recirculates it through the filters -- so get yourself between the hot side and most of the pool and you are at significant risk.

No bets on that. But with the water pouring out of all of the connector holes, I consider it more likely that the power cord has been replaced with a hose of the same diameter and color, and water is being pumped through it instead of electrons. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That depends on how old the pool is, and what it is made for. Many of the older pools are poured concrete, which would be excellent ground connections when submerged.

With what odds that the kick in the muscles will toss him back into the pool?

And consider the common aluminum ladders used for exiting home pools, which might be grounded outside the pool.

I know that I would not risk *my* body in such an experiment. The odds are either electrocution or drowning after being rendered unconscious by the shock.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"DoN. Nichols" wrote: (clip)the water is probably well grounded through the plumbing which

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ So you are really at risk of being watercuted, and the discussion about the risk is only academic, but let's pursue it anyway. The outlet strip, if it were really connected, would have a hot and a common. Water would carry current between the two, mostly INSIDE the power strip. If it didn't blow the breaker, the water inside the strip would heat up, and maybe start to boil. This would be the main path for the current. If you imagine what the potential field around that floating outlet strip would look like, it is easy to see the voltage gradients a short distance away would be very low. I doubt you would even feel a tingle if you were a few feet away.

I'm not busy right now. If someone will pay my round trip airfare, I will volunteer to walk around in the pool with the power on. :-).

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Agreed -- except if someone decides to try it based on the images.

This is assuming that the return and ground wires are intact. If only the hot wire is intact, then there would be a gradient between the hot side of the connectors on the outlet strip and the point at which the water was pumped out of or into the pool for filtration. And if the pool were a poured concrete one instead of a plastic lined one with relatively soft fill around it, then *any* path between the hot pins and the container of the pool would have similar gradients.

I would not (and I don't suggest that you do so either)-- I just don't trust the outlet strip, the extension cord into which it is plugged, and perhaps even the wiring at the breaker box. They *may* all be good -- but I am not betting my life on it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Leo wrote: I'm not busy right now. If someone will pay my round trip airfare, I will

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Leo responds: Well, this is how I would proceed, in the unlikely event someone takes me up on my offer. First I would observe the behavior of the water in and around the outlet strip. I would want to see steam, to verify that the current is flowing INSIDE the outlet strip. Then I would go to the far end of the pool and stick a toe in. Then a foot. Then a leg. I would walk slowly in the water toward the outlet strip, paying attention to any evidence (tingling) of voltage. My bet is that I would arrive at short distance from the "hazard" without any trouble. Of course, I would expect you to be standing by, ready to unplug, just in case.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Hi Leo

You probably niticed that there are a couple ground terminals included in those 200 volt sockets. I suspect you are just trying to get a free ride to somewhere warm enough to have an outdoor swimming pool.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" (clip) I suspect you are just trying to get a free ride

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Jerry, you're too clever for me. Anyone willing to help me get $15 million into the US for a goodly share?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Oddly enough, I have a pair of flip flops almost identical to those and they do indeed float very well, riding quite high in the water.

I think it's a real shot but with the power off.

Where is the power strip plugged in? Look closely...it isn't.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Granted, but the pool in question is the one in the picture, a plastic inflatable.

I know from personal experience that concrete is a good enough conductor for electric shock.

jk

Reply to
jk

As is asphalt or 'blacktop'. DAMHIKT.