How to copy game dvd?

I'm getting tired of paying 30 to 60 bucks for game dvds, in my case WII, that won't play when they get scratched.

My grandkids are supervised when playing the games but eventually the disks get scratched.

I intend to copy a newly purchased dvd then let them play the copy while the original is safely stored away.

Neither my Windows XP machine nor my LinuxMint machine will recognise the game dvd, so I can't even start!

Anyone know how to do this?

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

technomaNge fired this volley in news:k1tqpg$7ik$1@dont- email.me:

DVD decryptor or CloneCD should make a copy, regardless of what's on it.

You don't want to "recognize" the disk for purposes of interpreting the data, just make a sector-by-sector copy.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

In windows I've used dvd Shrink and dvd encrypter. Not sure if these are still supported and for normal dvd video dvd shrink is sufficient. I'm assuming the game dvd has some sort of protection scheme. Not sure what is available for Linux, do a google search.

Reply to
Dave Cohen

Try installing libdvdcss2. I don't think it is in the nomal repo's but it is available here:

Wildman

Try DeVeDe and see if it will bypass protection.

Reply to
Eric

Even if it actually manages to make a copy I'm not sure it will play in a straight console (without chipping etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Chipping with a "mod" chip is usually necessary. The consoles look for a 'true' DVD ROM, not a DVD-R, and there are other protection schemes that hail back to the diskette days, like "syncronous track jumping" that relies on the speed of the galvo and the disk rotation speed to find a particular datum in a particular place (in time) right after a move.

These are things that cannot be replicated by simply copying a DVD bit-for- bit, as copiers cannot manage the time-domain relationships between chunks of data.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh