How to remove a very stubborn and high risk socket head cap screw

I would use a socket head allen wrench and a hammer impact driver. Worked great on my old Kawasaki bike. both twists and shocks the bolt at the same time.

Reply to
Califbill

Ignoramus28053 fired this volley in news:JPmdnd7H4_nFrZ7RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yep, although at some future date, I wish to upgrade it to EMC^2, add a

4th axis, and some other niggling things. But yes... it's a nice machine. Kind of klunky and a bit prone to connector failures now and again -- but I'm not doing any production work with it.

The only concessions to modernity on it right now are the changes I made to the motor drive and power supply connections. I added a slow-start VFC to the drive, and now signal reversals through the VFC, instead of switch-reversing it, and speed is still selected pneumatically with the variable sheaves, ranges manually by the shift lever. I also rewired the PS for single phase -- so the whole machine is on 240V single now, and most satisfactory.

The electronics are old, but pretty stable, the monitor has but a little burn, and mechanically, the machine is almost brand new. Hardly any wear at all in the ways.

I had some old scans of the manuals, and they were adequate for making the changes, but recently Dave Blank dug up some original BP manuals, and kindly sent them. So... I'm "fully equipped", except for having enough of the 30-type tool holders.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Cool. I do not have such a luxury of having a working control, and will be retrofitting. My iron is also in a good shape with hardly any wear.

Are your holders QC-30?

Ignoramus26677

Ignoramus26677 fired this volley in news:7e-dnQ0DNI6yLZ7RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

yep.

There seems to still be a decent supply of American made old and NOS holders out there (but a bit pricey), and there are some nicely-made Taiwanese clones available for cheap. But right now, I'm spending my money on other things.

LLoyd PS(it would be nice to build a tool-changer, too, but I don't know if that's beyond my skills) LS

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Ignoramus28053" skrev i en meddelelse news:-

Heating to 300 F or 150 C will normally loosen the Loctite.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Bolts removed. Head taken off the mill with only a slight mishap.

Ignoramus26677

And that mishap was....?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ignoramus26677 fired this volley in news:Yfmdnb-rC8R9hJnRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Um... HOW slight? What?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

the head was dropped.

but it does not look like anything broke, it fell whe it was half rested on a pallet, and i slopwed down its fall.

it disengaged from the forklift forks

** Sent from my Google phone ** I apologize for any typos **

Reply to
Ignoramus26677

I *think* I mentioned putting the other bolts back in. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

On every bridgeport head that I have seen there is a tapped hole for an eyebolt designed for lifting off the head. Also if you use a chain to lift put a slab of wood between the chain and the forklift tong. It will keep the chain from slipping. Glad you didn't get hurt when it dropped.

John

Reply to
john

What's that Lassie? You say that Gunner Asch fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sat, 29 May 2010 22:35:30 -0700:

I second this. If no impact tool, then tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen. More torque each time.

Reply to
dan

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (dan) fired this volley in news:4c046b20.3365293 @news20.forteinc.com:

Why would he want to do that when he's already gotten the bolts out?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

What's that Lassie? You say that Lloyd E. Sponenburgh fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 31 May 2010 21:56:33 -0500:

When was that? How'd he do it?

Reply to
dan