How to remove a very stubborn and high risk socket head cap screw

yep.
There seems to still be a decent supply of American made old and NOS holders out there (but a bit pricey), and there are some nicely-made Taiwanese clones available for cheap. But right now, I'm spending my money on other things.
LLoyd PS(it would be nice to build a tool-changer, too, but I don't know if that's beyond my skills) LS

It has been 6 hours. Did you try anything that was suggested?
Worse comes to worse, you can drill a shcs out. Since my employer uses a lot of carbide twist drills, I put an edge on one from the carbide scrap bucket and use that with a hand drill. I often break them or chip them, but I just grab another and keep going.
Once the head is off, the remaining portion tends to be finger tight.
Wes

No, I cannot get to the mill until tomorrow. Tomorrow may be the "big day" when I put the mill on trailer.

Wes, I hope that I just get it with the proper tool. I have a breaker bar with a 3/8" socket and a piece of a 3/8" allen key to fit the socket and the bolt. I think that it should work.
On 5/30/2010 8:45 PM, Ignoramus28053 wrote:

I would use a socket head allen wrench and a hammer impact driver. Worked great on my old Kawasaki bike. both twists and shocks the bolt at the same time.
Ignoramus6711 wrote:

I would not weld the allen wrench. YOu will anneal it causing it to bend. Just slip a pipe over it and pull. You will break the allen wrench before the bolt will snap. Don't hit the bolt with a hammer directly on the top or you will peen in the hex. If you want to hit it cut a small length off your allen wrench and put that in and then hit that. If you apply heat put the heat on the casting but not too much or there is a slight chance it could crack from heat stress. It is possible that there was locktite applied to the bolts. Heat will help release the locktite. A breaker bar and a allen head driver will also work but make sure it is a good quality tool (a life time warrenty helps). Impact wrenches suck for taking off bolts unless you have a large air supply and something that puts out at least 350 ft.lb. Don't be afraid of breaking off the head of the bolt. If it ever did break you just put a larger nut over the stub and weld it onto the stub. Two things will happen, you will have a good grip on the stud, and the heat from welding will loosen the grip of the stud in the thread and it will turn out easily after it cools. If you break your allen wrench I have a case of 3/8 of them made before there were china imports. I got them at an auction 15 years ago. Its one of the most common sizes on larger machines.
John

John, I think that I will get the bolts, I hope that they did not locktite them, it is a scary thought. I have two options, one is that pipe with a welded on bolt, and another is a breaker bar. I have a big case of allen wrenches, maybe 40 lbs, so I have a lifetime supply of any inch size I want.

Heating to 300 F or 150 C will normally loosen the Loctite.
--
Uffe Brentsen

Bolts removed. Head taken off the mill with only a slight mishap.

On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:19:44 -0500, Ignoramus26677

And that mishap was....?
<VBG>
Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate

the head was dropped.
but it does not look like anything broke, it fell whe it was half rested on a pallet, and i slopwed down its fall.
it disengaged from the forklift forks
** Sent from my Google phone ** I apologize for any typos **

I *think* I mentioned putting the other bolts back in. ;)
Wes
Ignoramus26677 wrote:

On every bridgeport head that I have seen there is a tapped hole for an eyebolt designed for lifting off the head. Also if you use a chain to lift put a slab of wood between the chain and the forklift tong. It will keep the chain from slipping. Glad you didn't get hurt when it dropped.
John

Um... HOW slight? What?
LLoyd
Impact wrench with socket with 3/8" mounted in it. Standard stuff in some sets. But a 3/8" with a hex key cut off.
Impact is like a black/orange hammer with shot in it...
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /