VObration tumbilng steel bolts?

I have a quantity of larger size steel bolts and nuts (5/8 and up). It is a nice pile from which I get just what I need for whatever I am doing. Except that they are dirty and rusty.

My question is, can I tumble them with ceramic media, or is there a possibiilty that it will ruin threads? Any ideas?

Ignoramus6711

That would be my concern. Thread forms are important. Big stuff like that is a good job for a wire brush of the appropriate meterial. Tom probably knows what to use.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Tumble or vibrate? Tumbling tends to bash them around a bit more. Tub vibrators are what most folks use.

And for that..small media and it works very well for your application.

These.....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Oh..btw..if you find a vibratory deburring machine..and the inside is worn out..simply take it to a shop and have it sprayed with Rino Liner or any other good bed liner. Works freaking great and is very cheap for something that small. Seems to outlast the standard replaceable liner too.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

vibratory tumbler

That's what I have. 0.5 cubic feet 1/3 HP vibratory machine.

What exactly do you mean by small media. I have some ceramic media, they look like little turds 3/8" long and appx 3/16" thick. Is that small?

Ignoramus6711

Ayup. Keep in mind that when you clean up stuff that has holes in it....you may want the media to go inside..and other times...not go inside.

This is the same reason one NEVER puts 9mm and 45 cases in a cleaner that uses walnut crushed.

The lil 9mms go into the bigger 45s and get jammed there by the media. Can be an utter pain in the ass getting them apart.

Some of the small soft media may..may get stuck inside your work if you have small holes etc.

Ceramics can get stuck in some really wierd places. The size you have would probably be good for anything with at least a 3/8 diamter hole in it. Or bigger.

You understand what Im talking about?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Iggy, have a look at

for an idea of sizes and shapes. We have two Royson tumblers at work and buy parts and supplies from them and they are great to deal with.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Carl Ijames

So after a few hours, the pennies were shiny, but not perfect new looking. Still a bit of patina on them. I decided to try Brasso, added about 2 tbsp of it and will tumble for one more hour. The point, of course, is not because I need shiny pennies, but just to experiment.

Ignoramus28053

That's what you have children for...and wire brushes. Or, do you have a blasting cabinet?

Reply to
Buerste

Come to think of it, I have all of that, some things in duplicates (children)

Reply to
Ignoramus28053

I think I'd try electrolytic cleaning in an alkaline medium. The alkalai will cut grease and the electrolytic action will attack rust but not good steel.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Take them to a black oxide place. Per pound price isn't too bad, and they degrease them and derust them before coating.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Agree with John. It would be much better to just clean each one prior to use rather than risk damaging the whole lot.

That would be my concern. Thread forms are important. Big stuff like that is a good job for a wire brush of the appropriate meterial. Tom probably knows what to use.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

rather than risk

The electrolytic derusting process works a treat.

Reply to
Winston

rather than risk

Indeed it does. I recently was given a pair of power supplies from a Moog milling machine, Nice self contained high amperage, low voltage (5vt DC @ 22 and 50 amps) boxes that will be turned into derusters in the next couple weeks.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch