How to sour milk

They served it at least once a week at my school in south Florida. Steamed or sort of boiled-in-oil, I think. We 9th-graders called it "snot pods."

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, chicken with gravy and grits. Tuesday and Thursday, ground mystery meat with vegetables -- often snot pods.

Yum, yum....

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I love okra, cooked however. I love broccoli, cooked or raw or overdone and cold. I love zucchini, cooked any way or raw, just NOT with tomatoes.

Pffffft! to the naysayers.

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I lived in Lafayette, Louisiana for eight years. Married a Cajun girl with about half of her relatives who spoke Cajun French ONLY. Got to eat every food known to Cajuns, and made by ladies who had cooked this stuff for decades. None of them ever used okra in a gumbo, unless a guest liked it, and then they would make a separate batch with okra. No one liked it. I only like it battered and deep fried or pickled. Other than that, it's plain slimy. And a PITA to pick with those little stingers. Man, I miss the fishing and foods of Acadiana.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Add 5-10% Ipecac.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Having lived within 20 miles of Concord, NH 60 years ago, I can say that that's quite right. Typically we have milder springs and later autumn first-killing-frosts. In fact, it was there that I learned to hate okra. My mother, a Texas Panhandle girl, bought it on the very rare occasions when it showed up in NH markets.

Maybe I should try to grow some. Won't do me any harm to *look* at it. :-)

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Yow! Any misaprehensions I might have had about Cajuns (who originally came from around here anyhow) have vanished. Good on them!

Reply to
Mike Spencer

I didn't quite appreciate the antagonism between English and French Canada until I addressed a New Brunswick store clerk in French, after a group of us had ridden our motorcycles around Quebec. We were SO much more welcome as Americans than French Canadiens.

Louisbourg reminded me of the Scots never forgetting The '45. Do you see much of it where you are?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I learned on edjamacaishunal teevee that a distaste for broccoli is actually genetic - broccoli has some chemical or amino acid or something that's evilly repulsively bitter to _some_ people: the ones with this one certain gene. The rest of us love broccoli, cauliflower, and most other veggies. (Albeit, I've never liked carrots, cooked or raw, but I could eat them if I was hungry enough.)

So don't feel bad if you can't stand broccoli - blame genetics! :-)

As a matter of fact, just yesterday I bought a sprig of broccoli and I'm planning on steaming (or microwaving) it for dinner tonight! :-)

But seriously, your recipe sounds like it would work on compost!

100% Fiber!!! ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've never seen live okra (gumbo), but I do know that zucchini will take over a garden like weeds; that's probably why it's so cheap. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In the early 1920's, my mother worked as a commercial artist doing advertising posters for a major drug company. The executive in charge of the art department was a pipe smoker who enjoyed a particularly foul smelling blend of tobacco. Mother and a couple other artists saved up a supply of the shredded latex from their Art Gum erasers, and, when the opportunity presented itself, mixed it into his tobacco supply. When the pipe smoker complained to his fellow managers, they ganged together in support of the artists and he agreed to keep his pipe out of the art studio. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

This is a rural area and lots of people have vegetable gardens. Old timers may only plant beans, cabbage and potatoes but younger folx and new-comers always plant some zuchini because, you know, even if you're a poor gardener you can see *something* flourish. So:

Q: Why should you always lock your car when you're in town?

A: Because if you don't it will be full of zucchini when you come back to it.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

New Brunswick is the only officially bi-lingual province in Canada. I'm sure there's some friction there but I haven't been there enough to know about it.

Hostility towards French/Francophone? No, not much. There are always a few people who are prejudiced against everybody of a different color, language, religion or hat style. There's more hostility on purely political grounds between Conservatives and NDP or Liberals. Nova Scotia has a couple or three French-speaking communities but people seem to get along okay. Maybe 50 years ago that was less true.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

You paint a fuzzy picture with that statement.

All provinces, except Quebec are bilingual, in that students have had French shoved up their asses for the last 50 years. French is provided in any official service or document and on our cereal boxes.

Quebec is the only unilingual province, being French only. English signs are "illegal", there. Our territories support about 7 other native languages, officially.

-------------- "Mike Spencer" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@nudel.nodomain.nowhere... New Brunswick is the only officially bi-lingual province in Canada. I'm sure there's some friction there but I haven't been there enough to know about it.

Reply to
m II

"m II" on Tue, 9 Aug 2011 08:32:52 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

How "fluent" are the non-Quebec non-Francophones?

I am recalling stories from the old days - before the Berlin Wall came down. In the Eastern block all students were "encouraged" to learn Russian. Which they did - badly. But given half a chance to study English or German, that they learned!

"Officially."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Are all antismokerists stealth-bomb-planting terrorists?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Personally, I add a LOT of butter, but it's OK, because I have a cholesterol deficiency. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

m II did NOT write:

Grow up, stop your juvenile forgeries.

mike

Reply to
m II

Not fluent at all, mostly. I spent three years forced to study French but my children had 1 hour per day stuffed down their throats for 12-13 years. Now one kid does commercial presentations in French but the other two never use a word of it except for language jokes and teasing them.

As a consequence of 1 hour per day of French obsession in each 5 hour school day most students cannot do math or understand English grammar anymore. They were taught they would all have calculators attached to their ears and do not understand math processes, as a result. Then a few years ago, it was discovered that our own French do not speak or understand proper French to understand each other.

Legal bi-lingual requirement jobs do not hire our native French speakers as they cannot pass the grammar test required for legal document writing...LOL

What a waste of time.

------------------

I am recalling stories from the old days - before the Berlin Wall came down. In the Eastern block all students were "encouraged" to learn Russian. Which they did - badly. But given half a chance to study English or German, that they learned!

"Officially."

Reply to
m II

Fill a carton with white latex paint.

You'll find out who it is right quick.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

My, you're a hateful and vindictive cult, aren't you?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise