hydraulic motor for use as gear box

I have an old 1984 Honda Odyssey which is a ATV/ Go-cart/ Sand Rail thing. The previous owner changed the drivetrain from the original air cooled 250 cc engine/ belt driven snowmobile type clutch system to an early 80's 550cc

4 cylinder motorcycle engine/5 speed transmission. The transmission is now linked to the axle with a chain and sprockets. I would like to have reverse on this machine. I have some hydraulic motors and pumps etc... and am wondering if I could set-up the transmission to drive a hydraulic pump and then the hydraulic motor drive the axle. I could then mount a valve in the cockpit which would give forward and reverse. Otherwise does anyone have any ideas as to where I could get a simple forward/reverse gearbox. Preferably something used from some farm machine or whatever. Thanks
Reply to
habbi

You could do that, but I don't think you would want to. Hydraulic transmission is highly inefficient. Take the current performance, and cut in half, at least, probably more. As far as I recall, the pump on my

50 hp backhoe will just about run a 20hp hydraulic motor. Not an experiment I've tried, just something I noticed as I was looking for other hydraulic parts.

If you don't need massive full power full speed reverse, you could rig an electric reverse, as I think the gold wings use.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

"Ecnerwal" wrote: (clip) You could do that, but I don't think you would want to. Hydraulic transmission is highly inefficient. Take the current performance, and cut in half, at least, probably more.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I am sure you would not want all the power, both forward and reverse, to go through your hydraulic transmission. Since you probably just want to creep in reverse, I don't see why the hydraulic wouldn't work. I would keep the present power train, and when you want reverse, put it in neutral. Then, taking hydraulic power from a takeoff, you could drive the rear axle slowly in reverse. That would probably give you more than an electric reverse drive could.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

as pointed out by others, beware of Reynolds number in hydraulics - sizing for full HP is possible, but if you undersize the piping or have sharp bends, etc, you can loose a whole lot of power. Properly sized it's quite efficient. but it is probably not your best design choice.

consider a small electric motor for reverse? like from a windshield wiper??

Reply to
william_b_noble

Reply to
habbi

Lotus Seven replicas that run motorcycle engines often use a starter motor (automotive I believe) for reverse. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Reply to
habbi

Automotive starter motors usually have a sliding gear on the output which disengages when the current is switched off.

Reply to
ff

Not from a farm machine and not cheap but may give you an idea.

It's a forward/reverse gearbox for a go-cart (to 16 HP)

has some general dimensions of it.

Martin Riggins

Reply to
Martin Riggins