Hyster fork lifts

Hi all, new to this group but a long time on the Studebaker forum. I recently acquired an older Hyster forklift; early seventies vintage. Sitting inside for eight years after the owner died. I rebuilt the carb, dumped the old gas, and it runs great. This is a "monotrol" model and I am not familiar with it's operation. When I start the thing, it immediately wants to go unless I keep the brake pedal halfway depressed..releasing the hydrostatic drive, I recon. Is this thing supposed to have a "neutral"? Any help will be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance, Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Sounds like a control linkage mis-adjusted or a broken spring. I can't imagine any forklift being designed to run away on startup, even in the stoned '70s. I'd expect it's supposed to work like the hydrostats on a lawn mower, spring centered to neutral, push in either direction to go either direction.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

model and serial would help because this is before my time but I will give ya a couple things to look at.

There may or may not be a start switch on the accelerator, this would need to close first before the truck would move. If it has one then it is probably out of adjustment. I beleive that these were also setup so that the truck is in reverse when the pedal is up...

The e-brake should also have a interlock switch on it as well. No travel unless the brake is released.

Shoot me a model-- serial # and I'll see if I can check out a print.

Reply to
jjbell

Unfortunately, the number "plate" (actually a sticker with a piece of plexiglass riveted over it) has been damaged. As best I can read it, it is serial 3005793V and the model is possibly H150F although that part is REALLY damaged. It is a Ford four cylinder industrial gas engine. There are no electrical switches on the carb at all although it has a governor. Like I said, It starts and runs very well and idle speed seems to be about right. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

The forklift should start only when the brake is on. When you release the parking break you are in gear...... Push on the left side of the accelator pedal and you will go forward, and move your toe to the right side of the pedal you will go in reverse. The brake pedal will disengage the clutch and if you push it further it will apply the brake.

It takes a little while getting use.

John

Reply to
John

Hi again all, I have found the model number, it is H50H. I can't belive that this thing is supposed to start in "gear". A local guy said the monotrol pedal should have a "neutral" in the middle; maybe my pedal/valve is messed up or stuck from sitting. Sure doesn't feel like there is any kind of "middle" position... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

hmmmmmmmm something is wrong, as far as i know hyster either put a GM or a Perkins engine in thier H50H models..... If you take look around the right wheel fender, around the frame at the battery box or around the cowling top front and to the right of the steer wheel you should be able to find the serial number stamped.. It should or will strart with an E or D, something like E001H02345V.. The ford engine doesn't jive

On the monotrol pedal.. are both the forward and reverse sides spring loaded or just forward? If both then the tuck should be in neutral when started. If only forward then it will always be in reverse although there should also be a start switch and also an e-brake interlock switch....

serial # has all the answers

Reply to
jjbell

There are no electrical switches on the carb at all although

the accelerator start switch, if it has one, would be at the gas pedal under the monotrol pedal assembly. pushing the gas pedal down would close that swich and alow the transmission to engage...

Reply to
jjbell

Serial number, as best I can tell from the damaged plate, is D003D05793V. I have seen the Ford engine that I have listed on various Hyster sites. The monotrol pedal is spring loaded in one direction only; towards the reverse. To go into reverse you must overcome the spring. No electrical switches on the carb or the pedal; the monotrol pedal has a valve with three hoses on the pedal and a rod to the carb. I can't verify the serial number right now by looking on the machine as it is at the shop. Some pics of it are here:

again in advance, Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

you have mail

Reply to
jjbell

The setups I've seen like that have a couple of springs inside the hydraulic valve that center it. One of those springs must be broken and the other pushes the valve off center. I can't see any manufacturer wanting a machine to move upon start; every machine would be a lawsuit in yellow paint.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

IIRC, setting safety brake is your neutral.

Wes

Reply to
clutch