I need some very responsive and easy to operate DMDT momentary switches

My son has a "olympiad" event called "Robocross". He has to build a robot that he would control, that drives around, picks up objects, and delivers them into a jar.

To that end, I designed a system where the robot is on tracks and drives using two DPDT momentary switches, turning like a tracked tank.

It works, but I do not like the switches. One, they have a cheap shit plastic ring/nut to hold them to the enclosure, and sometimes that ring slips on the threads.

Two, these switches require significant force to switch (and that is what affects that ring) and they are just not ergonomic. I want to find switches that are more feather-light and easy to operate with minimal force.

Has to be:

  • DPDT * Momentary * Have quick-connect terminals

Any suggestions?

Ignoramus18425

"Ignoramus18425" wrote in message news:JPWdnR9sR8mEWkHPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

If you find a switch that's satisfactory except for its operating force, take it apart and shorten the spring. Pry the retaining prongs out with a small screwdriver and let it pop open over a dishpan. See if this helps. Youtube downloads so slowly over my dialup that I fixed breakfast in its first 12 seconds.

Or you could mount two pushbuttons between a lever, either a T lever on a flat panel or a straight lever hinged to the bottom of a U with the buttons in the sides. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What about slotting the switches and using E snap-rings?

- To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change the world who are causing all the trouble. --Anonymous

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes. What you have described is called a microswitch. This used to be a trademark (Honeywell), bot the term is now generic in practice if not yet in law.

..

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Electrically that's a very good suggestion, if you can find them easily.

Mechanically you might want to leave room for another spring to center the control lever because the microswitch springs are very weak.

DPDT Mom-Off-Mom(entary):

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Really good switches are getting harder and harder to find, because the world is going over to solving all those problems electronically.

The usual suspects here are DigiKey, Mouser, and Newark. All will sell in small quantities. It used to be that Mouser was my go-to place for switches and resistors, DigiKey for semiconductors, and Newark for anything that smacked of industrial. That was 30 years ago, so things have changed a bit.

I think, though, that I'd look at Newark first, then Mouser, then Digikey. Figure that you may have to order multiple different switches and try them out for touchy-feely.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Could you go with a proximity switch?

Reply to