NO Way to move sketches from point to point

I am trying to move a selected group of lines in a sketch from one location to another. It seems that I must input x and y values. I would like to do a move with snaps like I used to do in Autocad. For instance, move all the lines from the endpoint of one line to the origin. Does anybody know a way to do that? I don't think I can use constraints, because I have a number of items selected to move. I don't think I can do it with dimensioning, because I would need a dimension with a "0" value,, which I don't think Solidworks will allow me to do.

Any thoughts anybody?

Reply to
J & J

"merge"

Reply to
Michael

and/or "coincident"

Reply to
Michael

You can definitely do what you are after, very similar to AutoCAD. This is a trick I regularly use and that I learned on this board a few years back. It's kinda hard to explain, so ask questions if this isn't clear:

  1. Draw a temporary line from one of the entities to where you want to move the entities to. This is the equivalent of an AutoCAD construction line and you'll end up deleting it. You may already have a line in your sketch that you can use.

  1. Window select all of the things in your sketch that you want to move.

  2. Hold down control and click-hold on endpoint of your sketch where to drew your construction line. You'll have the little circle by your mouse pointer to indicate the endpoint.

  1. Let go of control and drag your elements to where you want to drop them.

  2. Mouse over the other end of the construction line to get the endpoint indicator again. Release the mouse button. This will move all of the selected items from one endpoint to the other.

Reply to
Mickey Reilley

damn, thats nice to know. :)

Reply to
kenneth b

I believe the tool your looking for is under Tools -> Sketch Tools -> Move or Copy. All you have to do is select the entities you want to move and either enter a X,Y displacement, or you can move by "grips".

Brent

Reply to
Brent Kohls

THIS is what I needed to do. It's funny that it's not built into the move/copy so that it is easier, but it works!

Thanks very much. I appreciate it!!!!!! Bless>You can definitely do what you are after, very similar to AutoCAD. This is

Reply to
J & J

Brent,

That's what I was thinking. Just didn't have time to reply until now. I wonder why nobody else has mentioned that yet. Maybe not that many people know that it is a new feature in SW04. It is very, very similar to the AutoCRAP move from base point to end point.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Reply to
J & J

Ah! Didn't realize you were on 2003. Sometimes it helps to mention that.

As for the solution for 03, I think the only way is like Wayne Tiffany described.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Wayne

Way cool answer man !!!

Seems I'd done that before, just didn't register I guess

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

There are a couple of ways to do it:

- Tools, Sketch Tools, Modify. As long as your sketch doesn't have any relationships to anything outside of the sketch, you can click a point and drag it to a new location, which moves everything in the sketch

- Tools, Sketch Tools, Move or Copy. This will allow you to just move a section of the sketch if you want.

- Or, kind of a lo-tech way would be to use the "autodimension" tool to constrain a sketch to itself, and then just drag it to the new location.

In any case, the advice to forget what you know about autocad is the right thing to do.

matt

J & J wrote in news:8AZac.358$zv6.266 @news01.roc.ny:

Reply to
matt